Chapter One

Everything around me was silent yet I heard everything at the same time. The creak of objects as a silent breeze barely presses against them. The almost silent tap of tiny claws against wood. The swish of fur-on-fur as two mice pass each other. The clops of metal on the stone and pebble road. The ring of saddle bells along with the grind of blunt teeth on metal. I could hear it all until a minute later it all faded out and I heard nothing only for it to came back again a second later.

My eyes were closed and everything was dark but it felt like I could see through the darkness to the back of my eyelids. Of course I really couldn't, but it felt like it.

My nose was much like my hearing. Every now and then it picked up scents that shouldn't be detectable normally but it only faded out for a little before it came back again.

My touch was the same yet again. I could feel every fibre and weight of the clothes I wore against my skin. The wool blanket over the top of me. My own hair against my scalp and neck along with the material and softness of my pillow. I could feel every sharp, yet soft, prickle of the feathers underneath my body.

I realised I was in a bed.

Which is somewhere I've never been since I can remember, not that I can remember much in the first place. It was marvellous. I can't remember what the bed felt like all those years ago but I knew it never felt as good as the one my body was resting on right now.

I knew I was awake, it's how I was able to take attendance of everything around me and of my strangely heightened senses, yet it seems, I still couldn't fully wake up.

I couldn't move my body nor open my eyes, but truthfully, I didn't really want to. My body was relaxed and I've never felt so lifeless before, though I knew I was still alive. I can feel my heart beating inside my chest and that, in turn, moved my skin against the silk of the clothing covering me. It was such a strange feeling, but I wasn't scared of it. I wasn't afraid. This, I am sure, is the best day of my life.

I felt, smelt and heard the air shift around me, entrancing me with every slight movement I could hear and feel against my delicate senses. This heightening of my senses were making me feel more alive than I've ever felt in my life!

Rhythmic thumping's made itself known through my musings and made their way closer to me. They stopped for a second in front of what I presume was a door leading in and out of the room I was in, before that door was opened and they walked in.

My nose was hit by something I have never smelt before when they entered. It was rich and hearty, but it wasn't strong and the smell wasn't overpowering. Whoever just walked into the room I was lying in smelt like the earth and trees. And whoever it was smelt fresh and free. It was intoxicating. But it was also laced with something else. Something just as rich, something just as refreshing, it was sweet and had the tang of iron in it.

It smelt wonderful.

I felt my stomach clench almost painfully and everything around me became hyper sensitive. My mouth tingled and I could feel my teeth throb as my throat contracted. I tried to swallow the sudden build up of saliva but it didn't release the clenching of my stomach.

The being in the room moved towards me, placing the amazing smell right in front of me. I felt something cold, hard and smooth touch my bottom lip as the sweet, iron smell hit me right in the nose making my stomach clench almost painfully.

Liquid filled my mouth and I swear I was about to die from how amazing it tasted. The smell was killing my nose but now it was also mutilating my tongue beautifully. I hadn't known I moved until cool air touched my back and both my hands touched the cool, hard surface that still touched my lips.