Chapter Twenty-Three

I didn't know where she would be so I first looked for lady Beatrice and I found her talking to some servants. I waited till she was done before stepped forward into her view. "My lady." I greeted her with a bow.

"Good morning." She greeted back with a slight smile. "What do you need?"

"I was wondering if I could visit Mercy before I leave." I answered nervously.

"Oh? I suppose, she's still asleep and is in the middle of changing. But there's no harm in visiting." Lady Beatrice replied before turning away. "Come, she's this way."

"Thank you my lady." I thanked her following her eagerly.

It didn't take long for us to make it to a room in a hallway I've never been down before. Lady Beatrice pulled out a key from a fold in her dress and unlocked the door. It was like I was slapped in the face. The room was full of mana that seemed coiled and tense. It was very dark in the room but I could easily see through it to the bed where a familiar red head lay, eyes closed but heart beating faster than it should.

I stepped into the room and felt like I was swimming. There was a heaviness in the air I doubt was good. Is this what it was like when I was changed? I walked to Mercy's side and looked down at her. Her skin was a lot paler and clammy than it should be. Her usually radiant red hair was dull and there seemed to be a sickness about her I didn't like. Where's the woman that was bubbly and bright and called me Purple just because of my eyes?

I reached out and touched her sweaty forehead only to be sucked into a war. My breath was taken away by the savagery running through Mercy's body. Mana against mana was literally attacking each other both destroying and healing Mercy's body. I could tell that Mercy was in a highly dangerous situation.

I pulled my hand away from her taking in a deep breath. "What is the chance she will survive the change?" I asked leady Beatrice who I knew was behind me.

"Sadly it's fifty-fifty and I changed her on an unusually powerful full moon." She answered her voice slightly strained because of the pressure in the room.

I nodded my head before placing a hand back to Mercy's forehead and my other to her chest over her fast beating heart. I felt the mana around and inside her and started trying to calm the war between the mana down. I pulled mana into me, calmed it down and then placed it back inside her to start to merge the mana together instead of one side fighting for dominance.

I don't know how long I was there but I could physically feel the room lightening and life was coming back to Mercy's features. I breathed out a breath of relief once I felt that the opposing mana were sufficiently merged and calmed. I could feel the merged mana finally doing its job in repairing and restructuring Mercy's body from human to nightwalker.

I pulled away from her and sighed. I was tiredly but I couldn't deny that I was happy to be able to help my friend.

"What did you do?" Lady Beatrice asked sounding amazed.

I turned to her and smiled. "There were two different types of mana inside her fighting for dominance. One was her own that she had since she was born and one was yours mixed with something else that was a bit more... wild? I don't know how else to explain it, but it was killing her. I could feel it. So I pulled the mana out of her, calmed it down and placed it back and helped them merge together instead of having them continue fighting."

Lady Beatrice gave me a look of disbelief. I smiled at her slightly. "She's going to be fine now, just keep an eye on her." I looked down at a now relaxed Mercy and could already see the ethereal changes happening to her body. I bent down and placed a soft kiss to her forehead. "I will be back soon." I whispered to my unconscious friend before straightening up and heading towards the door.