Chapter Twenty

Yes, I apologise for leaving for so long on such a terrible cliff hanger, But! Did that not make things more suspenseful and exciting? Is she? Isn't she? True or false? Are they really Mates? If so why the hell is this a lesbian story?

Well instead of rambling on with all these questions I'm sure you have asked yourself multiple times, how about you find out for yourself right now hmm?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was confused, but everyone else seemed to know what it was by their shocked expressions. My Mistress's eyes widened in surprise at the same time as her eyes went from me to Anon and back again. She looked highly confused and surprised, expressions I didn't think I'd ever see on her face, ever.

I looked towards Sylvia who also had wide shocked eyes but I could see a deep sadness in them too. I turned to Anon to see that he had a look of satisfaction on his face. I gave him a questioning look that he replied to with a wink and smirk.

"Um... what is a Mate?" I asked when no one said anything for a few heartbeats. I looked away from him and to my Mistress again.

"It mean's the two of you are soul-mates. You belong together as a couple, as a family, as a Pack." My Mistress answered with now narrowed eyes stuck on Anon. "Mate's are decided by fate before the two involved are even born. Nightwalkers also have Mates, but it is very rare for us to find them because of how long we live and that we could still die before they are even born, or that we've already out lived them."

"What?" I cried out in shock. "That can't be!" I was suddenly panicking. What about lady Beatrice? Why was I so attracted to her if I was meant to be with another, let alone a male?

My Mistress had a blank look on her face that I couldn't read at all. I glared at Anon angry by the confusion he was creating. He looked just about ready to break out into evil cackling and that just made me even more annoyed. "Take that back! I know we can't be what you say because I'm not attracted to you the tiniest bit." I growled bluntly at him. I felt my eyes start to glow as things in my vision became more defined and my fangs lengthened dangerously.

Anon mock winced and placed a hand over his heart. "Ouch, you know how to insult a man don't you?"

I felt the mana around me moving erratically along with my anger. "I'll do more than insult you if you don't tell the truth." I warned him darkly. I felt a slight connection to Anon ever since I allowed him to call me Alpha. This connection I felt started to change and for a reason I am not entirely sure about, I felt like he would do anything I told him to in that moment.

Anon laughed, though it sounded slightly strained, and held up his hands in surrender. "Fine fine. I was lying. She isn't my Mate but there is a strong attraction my wolf holds towards her that it is much like a pull towards my Mate."

The tension in the dining hall rushed out like a sigh and I felt my body relax.

See? I knew I was right. Damn dog, I growled in my head with a glare at Anon. I turned back to my Mistress only to see lady Beatrice in the doorway behind her. Oh god, please don't tell me she heard that conversation? I swallowed nervously as I met her silver eyes that I found enchanting, let alone much more attractive than anything Anon had to offer. They were filled with a nervousness I was surprised by. She seemed tentative to walk into the room.

My Mistress sighed and shook her head. "What an annoying wolf. I would have had to keep you around if what you said was true. Finding a Mate is no joking matter, especially for our kind."