Chapter Sixty-One

Daylight broke through the surrounding trees lighting up the small clearing. I woke easily, nice and warm, and comfortable with Beatrice basically curled up onto me. I sighed softly, happily, as I ran my fingers through her sleep mussed hair that was spread all over my chest and then down her back, comfortingly.

She hmm'd softly and nuzzled into my chest before relaxing again. I looked over the clearing and found Qoy still passed out on the ground, shocking, while lady Aviva was up, awake and getting Hespic ready for the days ride.

"Wake up, love." I whispered into the top of Beatrice's head while running my fingers over her side a little firmer.

"I'm awake, I was just enjoying what you were doing." She replied sounding still asleep.

"Well I'm sorry that I have to end it then but it's time to pack up the mats." I sighed through I didn't move and continued to caress her side.

"You're not helping Vaden." Beatrice grumbled with humour in her sleepy voice making me chuckle and stop my hand.

We finally got up and I rolled up our mats as Beatrice got our horses ready. I went over to Qoy and nudged his side, rolling him over onto his back. He opened his black eyes and scowled at me before letting a huff.

"Yeah yeah, I'm up." He gruffed while closing his eyes again.

I rolled my eyes at him and started covering the camp fire, that was just ashes now, with dirt. "Ready?" I asked everyone.

"Lets go." Lady Aviva stated and got up onto her horse, leading the way.

We're on our way. Anon's voice whispered through my mind.

So are we. When will you get to the castle?

We won't rest and we're riding at full speed. Don't worry we're not riding horses so it's fine. I estimate that we'll get there sometime nearly midnight

Two days ride in a single day, I'm impressed. What are you riding if it's not horses?

Well I'm in wolf form and have two people on my back while two more are flying above us and one running beside me.

I swear to god Anon if Georgia is with you I'm going to chain you down for a month!

Why do you assume it's the princess?

Anon! She's lady Aviva's Mate and I can't protect three people I've sworn to protect at the same time!!

But that's why you have the rest of us.

Athena's not with you, is she?

No, she's looking after the estate. She would have come for sure if she knew but she thinks you gave us a last minute task that Georgia forgot lady Aviva told her to do before you guys left.

Sneaky wolf.

Mercy thought of it.

We're approaching the town just before the castle. Please be safe Anon and I hope I won't have to ask for your help.

Of course Alpha. If you don't need our help, we'll see you when you leave the castle. Good luck.

Be safe Anon.

Always.

"Is it just me or is this place deader than last time?" I wondered out loud looking around at the deathly silent town we just entered. Nothing stirred even in the darkest alleyway. Not even any vermin. Ever window, shutter and curtain was closed. No smoke from hearth fired coming out of chimneys and not. a. single. heartbeat.