Chapter Eight

The next time I woke up my vision and hearing was better but things were still a little muffled and blurry and I could only feel my hands and feet but couldn't move them. A voice called to me and I turned my head to see Sylvia looking down at me with wide fearful eyes and beside her was Mercy who turned and quickly left my line of vision.

I tried to speak and I tried to understand what Sylvia was saying to me but neither happened. I saw her hand touch me and shake me but I couldn't feel it and soon, once again my eyelids fell, shrouding my world in darkness.

My eyes were closed. I could feel my body. I could smell my own scent and blood. I could taste my own mouth, which was dry and uncomfortable, and I could hear my sluggish heartbeat in my own ears but nothing else.

No, there was something else. I couldn't see anything but I could hear a buzzing in my ears like a bee flying right beside them. I could taste something rich and burnt on my tongue. I could smell something that smelt like it was burning. I could feel the air around me vibrating with power and energy and it was a physical weight on my body. I didn't fight the weight, I let it sink into me, flow into my body and flow into my veins, heart, brain and every other system in my body. I let it fill me up and weigh me down to its own content before feeling it leave and come back with every breath I took.

I breathed in, power and energy flowed inside and filled my body. I breathed out, the power and energy left me making me feel light and free. I breathed in again and once again I was filled to the tipping point before breathing out and it flowed out of me. I let it do as it wanted as I continued to breathe in and out evenly, slowly getting use to feel of being full then empty. I felt so tranquil and soon once again I was asleep but the feeling of being full then empty continued.

I opened my eyes to see that I was in my room. I sat up feeling refreshed, calm and almost weightless. I breathed in and felt the energy around me fill me before I breathed out and it emptied from me. It no longer bothered me, the feeling of being full then empty, so I got out of bed stretching my arms and legs with a yawn. I was wearing a white silk nightshirt and pants and they were very comfortable. I looked around me and moved my hands around feeling the energy in the air. I smiled as it wrapped around me before I let it go and it went back with the rest of itself. I think this is what my Mistress was talking about when she was talking about mana. The life of everything.

I just couldn't help but wonder why I could feel the mana in the air and around me, it just seemed so easy and right to move it and mould it before letting it do as it pleases within and around me. I walked to my walk-in wardrobe and changed into my combat gear, because it was the most comfortable of the clothing I had. I had just walked out of the wardrobe when the door to my room opened and Sylvia walked in holding a tray, which held a bowl of water and a sponge. She saw me standing there and dropped the tray in shock.

"Good morning Sylvia." I smiled at her feeling completely at ease with everything around me.

Tears appeared in her eyes and she launched herself at me. "Thank god you're awake." Sylvia cried arms wrapped tightly around me as she trembled. "I didn't think you were going to."

I laughed softly before pushing her away to arms length. "Calm down Sylvia, I'm awake now. How long have I been asleep for?"

Sylvia tried to calm her breathing as she fiddled with her hands. "You've been sleeping for a month but you woke up now and then during it but could never respond to our calls."

"Yes." I nodded. "I recall two such occasions but I could never move."

"How are you feeling?" Sylvia asked worriedly.