Chapter Fifty-Six

For the first time in two weeks I walked out of the room by myself and headed confidently to where I could feel Athena was. I walked into the dining room making everything go silent. Sitting at the table was Mercy, Anon, Ashwini, Candy, the twins and who I was looking for Athena.

"Good morning." I bowed to them awkwardly suddenly feeling like this was a bad idea.

"How are you feeing Alpha?" Anon asked standing up. My heart beat quickened as he walked towards me but I controlled the urge to run.

"Stop." I held up my hand to him before his got too close while my other hand held onto the doorframe keeping me from running. I swallowed nervously. "I-I'm not great nor perfect, but I'm ready to get better. But, I'm sorry I don't think I can be really near anyone for a while, besides for Beatrice. I'm sorry."

"It's okay, I understand. I can feel what you have been through." Anon told me softly as he took a few steps back, which made me relax slightly.

I then turned my attention to Candy and the twins. "I want to sincerely apologise to you for what I did, for what I've done." I lowered my head to them gritting my teeth against the regret and guilt. "I'd like to offer compensation to the families of those I've hurt... And killed..."

"I don't like Nightwalker's, you obviously know that," Candy sighed leaning back in her seat with a frown. "But I understand what you went through and what made you do what you did. It wasn't you. I see that, Tora and Honey see that, but the one you need to say this to is the king. I forgive you even though I don't really like you."

Tora and Honey smiled at me. "We know you were being controlled, I mean you were awesome when you were on our side but the way you went crazy was... Well bloody crazy!" Tora laughed.

Honey hit his twin in the stomach with his elbow while he gave me a soft smile. "Ignore him and his talk, we forgive you too."

"Yeah, even though you went insane and what not, you did learn some crazy moves I'd love you to teach me." Mercy grinned from beside Ashwini.

Ashwini nodded her head quickly. "Same with me. I mean, you summoned a bloody dragon! That was both terrifying and awesome!" She exclaimed with bright eyes.

I smiled awkwardly. "Ah, yeah sure, I'll be sure to teach you when I'm not terrified of myself anymore. Um... I was wondering if I could speak to Athena... In private."

I looked at the little girl who sat quietly, not even looking at me, beside Mercy. She got up without a word and walked out of the dining room, never looking up away from the ground. She walked passed me without a glance and I had to grip onto the door frame tighter to stop my terrified trembling.

God she hates me... What am I going to do? My eyes sting and my throat felt like a lump grew inside it. With a quick parting bow to the others I followed the little girl I would plead to on my hands and knees to have her forgiveness.

Following a path out of the giant tree I found Athena sitting on the ledge of an amazing fountain that dribbled out water over life-like statues of fairy children playing in a secluded garden, which was full of stunning flowers and insects that I've never seen before.

I stopped a little ways away from the girl suddenly not know what to do or say.

"You scared me." Her voice was soft and the crack I heard in it was a knife slicing another scar into my already battered heart.

"I know..." I whispered back unwilling to let the tears out after so long of feeling nothing. "I'm so sorry Athena."

"I don't care what you did when you went missing, because like everyone said, it wasn't you. You're too good, too pure to have done all that. I was scared because you went missing, I was scared because I thought you were doing the same thing Sylvy did... I was scared because I thought the next time I was going to see you, would be when you were dead or dying. I wouldn't have been able to handle watching another person I love die." She was crying and shaking on the edge of the fountain, hugging herself like she was truly alone and she still hasn't looked at me.