Chapter Fifty-Two

Beatrice's POV

It was frustrating. Completely and utterly murdering my soul with each second that passed that I couldn't go out there and save Vaden, knowing that every minute I waste in this camp Enrique will be touching her, hurting her, doing who knows what to her...

I leaned against a tree at the edge of the camp staring out in the direction of the Orcs camp. My hand was placed over my heart feeling the hollowness engulf it. Each moment that passed I felt increasingly numb. A chill had set in the camp but I couldn't tell anymore if I was hot or cold. I would even find myself staring out into nothing and would realise that what felt like a matter of seconds were in fact a few hours of me just standing, sitting or lying somewhere until I was interrupted or I finally came to on my own.

Vaden's disappearance was literally fraying my mind to pieces with worry and fear. Oh Vaden... where are you?

I had snuck off one night and went back to the other camp only to find corpses of Orcs hacked apart or ripped to shreds. Among the corpses I found her sword and rhoa az. Knowing that she no longer had these made my worry nearly unbearable that I would have stormed the Orcs camp on my own right then if Athena had not of followed me without my knowledge. I had to take her back to camp so I was unable to follow through with my, admittedly, foolish plan.

It's been a week since Athena, my sister, Anon and Mercy appeared in camp, and frustratingly, nothing besides for healing fairy soldiers has happened. No actions from the Orcs or Enrique has happened. Something keeps interrupting Ashwini's concentration when she's looking through her little portal thing. And Anon has only been able to confirm that the Orcs have settled down and haven't moved or look like they're about to move any time soon, with no signs of Enrique or Vaden either.

Little arms wrapped around my waist pulling me from my thoughts. I looked down at Athena whose grey eyes sparkled like storm clouds on the horizon in the early morning sun that managed to break through the dense carpet of leaves above us.

"Good morning." I greeted her while running my hand over her head feeling her soft hair while keeping her to me. Really, if it wasn't for Athena, I don't think I'd be quite as sain as I was right now.

She's been with me this whole time and would be the one to break me from my sudden pauses if they took longer than a few minutes. She's kept me grounded in the fact that I had to look after her and make sure she wasn't going to run off and get into trouble, though I doubt her time with Enrique would allow her to do that. Then again she did come here when she wasn't meant to. Either way, the youngZ girl has kept me from doing anything stupid that'd get me killed.

"Morning!" She chirped up at me her arms around me tightening. "You weren't in the tent when I woke up."

"I'm sorry if I worried you." I apologised to her.

She shook her head and smiled softly up at me. "It's okay, I knew you wouldn't be far."

I smiled back, well tried to, and continued running my hand over her hair grounding myself in the familiar touch of another living person. "Have you eaten?" I asked her and felt her shake her head in answer. "Are you hungry?"

"No, I'm alright. I want to be here with you." She replied making my heart beat for the first time in what felt like forever.

This time I'm sure I managed at least a small smile down at the girl, she was just too adorable to not fall in love with. "Come on, let's go sit and listen to the forest, maybe we'll learn its secrets."

She looked wide eyed up at me with all her innocence showing through them as I pulled away from her and grabbed her hand, pulling her on behind me. I helped her over any difficult roots and bushes until the sound of the waking camp could just be heard. I found a nice place in between tree roots where we would be comfortable to sit and just be at peace for once.