Chapter 40

~*~

Diego furrowed his brows as he looked at the boy.

''You already knew, didn't you?''

''Of course I do. This is just to test your ability to gather classified information. You might be a traitorous subject of this rotten kingdom, but your skills are not to be underestimated.'' Rosh said.

Diego's eye twitched. He didn't know if he'd take that as a compliment or an insult. 'The only reason I'm a traitor is because of you.' He thought, clenching his fists.

''What else would you report?'' Rosh asked.

Diego thought for a moment before looking at him, eyes narrowed.

''A news was issued earlier.''

''And?''

''...''

''Well, continue?'' Rosh said, furrowing his brows.

Diego looked at him with an unreadable expression.

''Young master.''

Rosh arched a brow. ''What?''

The man looked at the boy's eyes, trying to find any signs of lie, but he couldn't read him at all. Diego doesn't know if Rosh was truly confused, or just pretending to be ignorant. Eitherway..

''Do you have anything to do with the disappearance of the Aphen's young master?''

A few seconds of silence took over them.

''...??''

Permitus Aphen..disappeared?

Rosh had a blank expression, but deep inside, he was actually confused. He was truly clueless this time.

''The young master of Aphen disappeared a few days ago, but the marquis only reported this after they are sure that it wasn't just his son's little prank.'' Diego explained and stared at him suspiciously. ''Are you sure you have nothing to do with this?''

Rosh didn't see that coming. He had never heard of Permitus Aphen disappearing in his past life.

''He was said to be kidnapped by an unidentified person as chaos was found in his room.''

''...'' Rosh stared at him and blinked. ''Oh.'' He said flatly.

'I went away for one night and this happened? Seriously. What's with nobles and kidnapping?' He sweatdropped. There are a lot of additional situations that never happened before, this must be what they call a butterfly effect.

He's not saying anything, Diego thought and decided to push the matter even more. ''How about the what happened to the second son of the Elbeck family?'' He asked.

The corner of Rosh's mouth flinched. Vincent Elbeck? So Amros scared him enough for it to become quite a deal to the noble news?

''Elbeck..'' He mumbled.

Diego smiled slightly, thinking he has succeeded in sqeezing some information from the boy's actions in the shadows.

''That's right. Vincent Elbeck is found shaking at the corner of his room yesterday morning. It was as if he saw a demon, yet he wouldn't say anything about it.'' The older man said, emphasizing 'demon' as a reference to the very person he's talking to.

''Hmm..''

''So, young master?''

Rosh looked back at Diego who gave him a pointed look.

''So. So what? It has nothing to do with me.'' He said.

''How could I be certain you're not lying?'' Diego still cannot believe his words. It's too good to be true.