Chapter One Hundred and Forty Four

The first day of the fifth month was an auspicious day for getting married.

When the sky lit up a little, the servants of Changning Count Residence were busy walking to and fro which made the place livelier.

Inside the room, Jiang Ningbao had woken up early and she let the two old servants remove facial hair and trim her hairline. Although she felt pain during the process, her face would be like satins and silks.

After they had removed facial hair and trimmed her hairline, Jiang Ningbao took a bath under the help of Chun Xi and Chun Le. She changed her clothes and started to put on make-up when the wedding make-up artist Old Madam Jiang invited appeared.

The fine and delicate eyebrows were trimmed, light make-up was applied, pitch-black hair akin to waterfall was rolled up, a luxurious and exquisite pearl crown was donned. Ten glittering and translucent ruby were embedded on top of the crown, its shine was resplendent, radiating bright splendour.

When she wore the phoenix crown and embroidered tassel cape, sunlight shone through the window.

After it was done, Jiang Ningbao stood up and walked to the bedside. When she walked, the bird patterns on the exquisite and complicated red wedding dress seemed to come alive, vivid and nimble as if alive.

Her third aunt sighed in amazement. "As expected of a wedding dress made by the palace embroiderer. I actually saw the birds on the dress come alive."

"I also saw it. It's as if they're real."

"Older female cousin, you are too blessed."

The people all exclaimed in astonishment.

After putting on make-up, Jiang Ningbao was so beautiful that she could make others hold their breaths. Her pair of beautiful eyes were clear and moving, her gaze cast amorous glances in between and secretly let out seldomly seen charm.

The people in the room were stunned by her beauty.

Jiang Ningbao's female cousin saw her sitting on the bed erect, as if in a beautiful painting. She could not help but sigh, "Cousin, no wonder people say that on the day of the wedding, the bride is the most beautiful. These words are not wrong, I could not move my eyes away."

"Jiang fourth miss is already naturally beautiful. She became even more stunning after putting on make-up."

The old servants and the people employed to wait on the bride during the wedding in the room all nodded. They all gave out praises continuously. The female cousins also complimented Jiang Ningbao with abundant interest. The aunts looked at this with a smile and they gave some comments from time to time. The room was lively and crowded.

Her eldest female cousin, Jiang Shuyan, saw this with a smile as the side. Her gaze fell on Jiang Ningbao's crown, robe, and jewelry. From head to toe, the things she wore had prices that rivaled cities. Even the two rubies on the shoe was also something only imperial princesses could rival, making others envious.

Jiang Mingyao looked at her beautiful fourth sister and once she thought of her wedding ten days later, her cool pupils flashed with a trace of anticipation and a hidden shame.

Jiang Ningbao heard the good wishes from others and her lips curved up as her heart was filled with happiness that was due.

At this time, footsteps rang outside the door.

Old Madam Jiang came. Today, Old Madam Jiang wore a bright red outfit and she looked spirited. Once she came, the old servants in the room bowed in greeting.

The aunts also nodded toward Old Madam Jiang while the youngsters paid respect.

"Grandmother, how come you still have time to get here?" Jiang Ningbao still sat on the bed. As the bride, she could not stand whenever she liked, so she could only ask with a soft voice.

There were a lot of guests today. As the oldest person, grandmother should be sitting in the main courtyard. She did not think that Old Madam Jiang would come into her room.

Jiang Ningbao was surprised.

"Your oldest aunt and oldest sister-in-law are entertaining the guests, I came here to see you." Old Madam Jiang carefully observed her fourth granddaughter who was dressed grandly. Beauty that could topple cities, a jade-like beauty. She could not help but be stunned and her eyes were filled with complicated feelings, as if there was a trace of reminiscence that flashed by.

This fourth granddaughter was indeed beautiful and she had a good marriage. In the future, there might be even better things.

But Old Madam Jiang still did not like her and the people from the second branch. As for the reason, Old Madam Jiang was not willing to say.

She only wished that her fourth granddaughter did not hate the count residence.

"Thank you for your concern, grandmother." Jiang Ningbao did not miss the trace of reminiscence that went through Old Madam Jiang's eyes and smiled slightly, like a blooming peony, graceful and gorgeous.

"Have good days in the duke residence, I'll go greet the guests." Old Madam Jiang said this and, with a trace of reluctance, put on the ruby bracelet she wore on Jiang Ningbao's wrist. She nodded to the aunts and younger ladies and left Jiang Ningbao's room under the help of Hong Xing.

Once Old Madam Jiang left, the cousins in the room continued their discussion.

Jiang Shuyan and Jiang Mingyao put their gazes on the ruby Jiang Ningbao wore as their hearts rippled with a subtle feeling.

Jiang Ningbao lowered her eyes to see the glittering and translucent ruby bracelet on her wrist and unconsciously touched this bracelet. If she did not remember it wrong, this bracelet had never left the old madam.

Today was her wedding day and Jiang Ningbao was too lazy to think deeper about the old madam's intentions. She pursed her lips and smiled, sitting silently on the bed as she joined them laugh and frolic as they waited for the auspicious time to arrive.

"Ningbao, eat some snacks to fill your stomach," said her oldest aunt with a small voice as she walked toward her and sat beside Jiang Ningbao. She brought a small plate of exquisite snacks.

Jiang Ningbao smiled and nodded, "Thank you, oldest aunt." She was busy since early in the morning and had not eaten anything. Her stomach was empty so it was good to eat some snacks.

After saying this, she took bamboo sticks and ate a few snacks.

Seeing this, the people in the room covered their mouths and laughed lightly. People who had experience knew that the bride had to endure hunger during the wedding day and could not drink much water, but they could eat some snacks.