20: Trust and Fear

"Where are we going, Madem Peri?" Peridot paused as Labradorite trailed after her, Amethyst and Steven beside her. The Amethyst and Steven gave each other knowing looks and looked back at Peridot.

"You didn't tell her?" Steven asked, Peridot bit the inside of her mouth. "W-well, Labradorite, you see, you- you have to stay with the permafusion and the Pearl, we will be back very soon." Labradorite's face fell as she looked back at the Garnet and the Pearl.

Dispite talking with the Pearl a few times, the memories of being stabbed in the chest, would pollute her mind each time she looked at the Pearl.

And the fusion. She was two times bigger than her and upmost terrifying with her blank face, her height, and those gauntlets. She is the reason Labradorite got cracked in the first place!

Labradorite swallowed hard, clutching her gem. Labradorite looked back at Peridot with a strained smile. "You're- you're joking, Madem Peri, r-right? Your only saying that for the laughs correct?" Labradorite tried to ask, her voice came out desperate and terrified.

Amethyst and Steven looked at eachother. "H-hey, it's not that big of a deal, Garnet and Pearl there not as bad as-" Steven was quickly cut off by Peridot.

"We'll be back as soon as possible! If we're not back soon enough, you have full permission to harm me in any possible way you deem fit!" Peridot reassured, taking Labradorite's hands as Labradorite's eyes began to get teary.

"You promise?" Labradorite asked her voice getting quiet and wavy. Peridot nodded and sqeezed Labradorite's hands for reassurance.

"Of course, I would never lie to you, Labradorite." Labradorite took one of her hands out of Peridot's grip and wiped her tears before hugging Peridot, catching her off guard.

"Please don't- don't take to long." Labradorite begged as she pressed her head in the crook of Peridot's shoulder.

After a few moments of silence Labradorite felt arms around her. "I promise I won't." After moments of hugging Labradorite pulled away and wiped her teary eyes once more.

"You promise to be on your best behavior, Labradorite?" Peridot asked, staring into Labradorite's eyes as she waited for an answer. Labradorite hesitated for a moment before nodding.

"Just, do you what you always do when you get overwhelmed as a last resort, okay Labby?" Peridot used Labradorite's nickname. She trusted Labradorite. Peridot trusted Labradorite to do the right thing.

Labradorite smiled softly and nodded to the Peridot. Peridot nodded and let go of her hands. Labradorite stepped off the warp pad and watched at the three warped off.

Labradorite looked at the barn, remembering her promise, swallowing hard. Labradorite held onto her gem and walked back to the barn.

Labradorite sat down on a bench, tracing with the crooked facets on her gem while fiddling with her hands. She was at a loss to do. Peridot wasn't here, neither was Steven.

The gems she was comfortable with have left her alone with the gems that have it out for her. Labradorite tensed as the empty spot beside her, creaked as weight was pressed down on it.
Some one was sitting next to her.

"Oh, sorry, do you mind if I sit here?" The Pearl looked over to Labradorite, the microwave from earlier in her lap, along with a screwdriver in her hand.

'Yes.' Labradorite hesitated before shaking her head, keeping her eyes glued on the landscape infront of her.

Pearl chuckled before getting to work and screwing the microwave away with the screwdriver. "If they hadn't left so quickly maybe we would have gotten some more work done, am I right?"

Pearl looked over at Labradorite, who was gripping her gem tightly. "Are you okay, Labradorite?" Labradorite jumped at the sound of her name but nodded, dispite fear eating away at her.

It was clear to Pearl that the gem was in deep thought. But she had never dealt with a gem so nervous before, so she tried to comfort the terrified forced fusion.

"Labradorite..?" Pearl's hand bearly brushed up against Labradorite's shoulder, and yet Labradorite flinched back harshly, finally turning to Pearl with terrified eyes.

Pearl pulled away upon seeing her fearful eyes. "Uhm... sorry." Pearl turned back to the microwave. Labradorite scooted to the end of the bench.

"It's okay." She muttered, making Pearl look at Labradorite, who looked back at the scenery, mainly the warp pad. Where was Peridot? Why wasn't she back yet?

"I know, Steven might be the only one you trust right now, but I hope-" Pearl was cut off by Labradorite speaking in a quiet voice.

"He's the only one I trust out of you." Labradorite spoke, scooting farther away from the Pearl. "Uh, hey, there's no need to be so hostile-" once again the Pearl was cut off.

"I can be as hostile as I want. I. have. the. right." Labradorite said, her eyes growing cold. Her mind was screaming at her to not do this, but she kept going.

"I don't understand?" Pearl knew. But she wanted to confirm it.

"You chase me around like some wild gem, you saw me struggle and said nothing. In fact, you struck me with your spear, dispite me giving you a sign of peace. Now you want to come talk to me as if nothing happened! As if this is just water under the bridge!? If you want my corporation, please leave me alone."

Labradorite spoke in a clear voice, summoning her wings and flying up onto the barn. "Wait I-!" Pearl sighs, seeing her chance was blown. "Are you okay, Pearl?" Pearl looked up to see Garnet.

"Yes, Garnet, it's just, Labradorite is being a bit difficult." Garnet looked up a the barn and hummed. "Do you want me to get her down?"

"Without scaring her that would be most appreciated." Garnet could only see this going one way. Garnet jumped up and landed on the roof quietly.

Labradorite was infront of her, Labradorite's back facing her as she caught her breath, clutching her gem. "Labradorite." Labradorite jumped harshly at her name, dispite it being called softly.

Labradorite held her gem tighter, she began to breath heavier than she was already as she looked up at the giant fusion.

Labradorite's pupils were small, an evident sign of fear. Garnet took note of this and kept her distance. "Pearl just wants to talk with you, if you could come down without  a fight it-" Garnet was cut off. "NO!!" Labradorite burst into a fit of tears, flying up higher. "I DON'T WANNA DIE!!" Labradorite yelled, flying up to the high up water tank, scooting up to the tippy top.

Labradorite felt pain all over, her eyes full of tears as she pressed her knees to her chest, she had no one on to run to. Peridot was gone, she didn't even trust Steven enough to hide behind him. She wanted Peridot. She was terrified and wanted Peridot to hug her and tell her everything would be alright. She wanted-

POOF

"Shoot."
Was all Garnet could say as the teardrop gem began to fall off the very high water tank.

[A/N: uh oh]