37: You Must Be Lapis

As Peridot recounted their trip to the cluster, Labradorite was in the barn, resting. Surprisingly, she was placed right next to a sleeping Lapis.

Steven peaked into the barn, looking over the two sleeping blue gems, one looked like she was having a nightmare, the other was still, most likely unconscious, but she looked dead.

"I see you're worried about your friends." Garnet spoke from behind him, placing a hand on his curly hair. "Yeah...when I saw her in my dreams, it looked like she was fighting so hard to keep Malachite from escaping." Steven admitted looking down at the ground before looking up at Garnet.

"Lapis spent an unbearable amount of time fused with Jasper. The emotional and physical strain of that type of fusion, I couldn't imagine." Garnet grimaced at the thought. "She's gonna need alot of time to recover..." Garnet stayed silent for a moment.

"Come on, I'm dying to hear more about what happened underground." Garnet smiled making Steven chuckle emptily. "Okay." Steven says walking away from the entrance if the barn.

<---->

Night came fairly fast for the blue gems. One had awoken faster then the other, choosing to sit in the corner of the barn, watching the other Blue gem that had yet to wake up.

Lapis opened her eyes and looked around at her surroundings. Right, they Crystal gems saved her from Malachite.

Lapis got up and jumped as she locked eyes with Labradorite, whom was sitting in a corner. "Hi, you must be Lapis." Labradorite smiled, speaking quietly as she walked up to Lapis.

"Sorry, but who are you? You're not someone I recognize." Lapis asked, Labradorite's smile fell as she realized she had yet to introduce herself. "Sorry! I'm Labradorite!" Labradorite spoke almost excitedly as she stuck out her hand for Lapis to shake.

Lapis just stared at the hand extended to her, making Labradorite pull back, a bashful smile on her face. "Sorry, I'm just...happy to see another blue gem, uh you have wings, do you not?" Labradorite asked, tilting her head.

Lapis' eyes hardened as she formed her water wings. "You won't be happy for long." Lapis says, making Labradorite frown. "What do you mean?"

"I won't be staying for long." Lapis replied with a sigh as she looked up at the sky, ready to take off before a voice cut through the thick silence.

"Lapis, you're okay!" Steven smiled as he stood in the barns doorway. The two blue gems looked over at the boy. "Steven." The two gems spoke before looking at each other with a look of 'you know him?'.

"You're....leaving." Steven spoke, taking notice of Lapis' open wings.  "I have to, Steven." Lapis spoke as Steven approached. "I don't belong on earth, not with the Crystal gems. I never have.." Lapis muttered, looking away from the boy and narrowing her eyes.

There was a pause before Steven spoke up. "It's okay, I understand." Steven said finally. "I just wish we could have hung out more." Steven says, his eyes focused on the ground as Lapis turned to look at him once more.

"I feel like I only get to see you when something horrible's going on." Steven smiled aimlessly, Lapis' eyes softened.

"That's just how it is with me." Lapis said, walking away from the barn for a moment before stopping. "Steven... thank you." Lapis said before turning to face the boy again. "Goodbye, again." Lapis bidded the boy a farewell before taking off to the sky.