22 - We'll Be Alright (✓)

Synthia

"Are you ready?" Ga-Ming asked as he tightly held my hand, entwining our fingers. I looked at him and gave him a weak smile.

All the things that happened yesterday, they were all unexpected. I thought I was already having the best time of my life but then, these have to happen.

I could feel that tight feeling in my chest thinking about the arranged marriage.

Was this how Asato felt?

The twisting feeling in your chest...

And the nuisance thoughts of you being separated from your true love...

Now I wonder how Asato went through all that while being such a devoted son to our father...

It must have killed him... Silently.

I squeezed Ga-Ming's hand and he instantly knew what I felt so without hesitation, he pulled me into a warm embrace, hugging me tightly.

"We can do this." He muttered.

"As long as we are both together." I whispered back. He then pulled away from the hug and lovingly kissed me on the cheek.

I was still filled with dread though, as I approached my grandmother's home. I don't know what I'd say or how I'd react. I never knew they'd come finding me again.

I thought that day was the end of it...

I thought Asato's death would be the end of the tradition...

My dearest brother died fighting for what is right, holding close to him our father's will. He fought for our father's wish.

Ga-Ming and I stopped by the door. I could feel my body run cold. I have never felt so anxious in my entire life.

"Ready?" Ga-Ming mumbled, looking at me. His eyes were my only comfort now.

I nodded at him.

He smiled before his hand reached for the knob. He then twisted it and opened the door.

I took a deep breath before walking in. We made our way to the living room afterwards where we saw Uncle Tan and Grandma sitting with Daniel. Hansuke, on the other hand, was leaning his back against the wall, just beside Daniel.

"Miss Synthia." Daniel's face lit up. "I am glad to see that you are safe." He let out a breath of relief.

All of their eyes fell on me afterwards.

Uncle Tan looked devastated and Grandma had a frown on her face.

I then led Ga-Ming to the living room with me, sitting on the couch where Grandma was.

"How are you, my dear?" Granda spoke, her voice, soft. "I'm sorry, there is nothing I could do. Akio holds firmly to the tradition. I can't go between it."

I gave her a reassuring smile. "It's okay, Grandma. I'll deal with it."

She then caressed my hair before gently patting my thigh.

"Miss Synthia. What is your decision now? Time is of the essence." Daniel said. I looked into his greyish blue eyes. "Your father is waiting for your arrival."

I stayed silent for a moment.

"I deeply apologize for all of these, Miss Synthia but-"

"I'll go." I cut him off. He let out a light gasp. Both Hansuke and Uncle Tan were shocked as well.

"But Synthia..." Uncle Tan looked at me with disbelief.

"In one condition." I mumbled.

"What would it be, m'lady?" Daniel asked.