38 - One Who Seeks The Truth (I)

Synthia

"Ga-Ming!"

I yelled out as loud as I could as I was now deep in the forest.

At the moment, I did not care about the danger that was around me. I had seen and felt enough. I could confidently say that I am immune to it now. I wouldn't be surprised if someone were to jump on me right now and attempt to slice me in half.

What matters more to me is Ga-Ming. He has been out here for too long. Archons know what happened to him. I would not even dare imagine anything bad happening to him.

"Ga-Ming!" I yelled out again but my calls only fell to deaf ears. It was just silence. The only sound I heard were my heavy footsteps, stomping on dried leaves of the forest floor and the crickets.

I could feel my heart tighten and my eyes begin to well with tears.

Oh my archon, what have I done?

I got him in trouble...

I wiped away the tears with the ball of my palm as I continued to run aimlessly, not knowing whether I'd still find Ga-Ming or not.

"Ga-Ming! Where are you?" I yelled out as loud as I could but still, there was no answer.

I was beginning to get frantic.

"Synthia..."

I instantly stopped on my tracks when I heard a familiar voice.

I turned my head to the sides along with my body to look for the source.

"I'm right here..." I heard the exhausted voice again and at that moment, I was able to pinpoint where the voice was so, I instantly followed it. It then took me to a small swamp and my heart dropped when I saw something I had never imagined I would see.

"M-Man Chai..." I cried before running towards him.

He was laying weakly near the edge of the lake. His flaming body was now glowing so dim. My eyes then caught glimpses of several dead bodies around and I was immediately filled with horror.

Once I was near Man Chai, I took him in his arms and he winced in pain.

He had several wounds all over his body and I don't know whether the wounds were critical for him.

"Oh my, who did this to you?" I wept, bringing him closer to my chest. He felt colder than usual.

"I protected Ga-Ming..." He mumbled. "We were attacked by P-Philip's men."

The sound of a familiar name created rage in my belly.

Philip...

"We need to get you to safety." I tore a piece of clothing from my shirt and carefully wrapped Man Chai with it. "M-maybe, Mr. Zhong Li c-can help you." I shakily said before standing up from my kneeling position, bringing the Suanni close to my chest.

"Only an Adeptus can help me, S-Synthia..." He muttered weakly. I looked at him and his flame was growing dimmer every minute.

My eyes widened.

"Stay with me, M-Man Chai. I'll find h-help." I sobbed as I started to run again. Still, I did not know where to go. All I know is I have to find help and, it has to be done quickly. Man Chai was dying.

I was mindlessly running through the forest when I heard wolf howls.

Oh no, they might have sensed Man Chai...

I could now hear the growls as they were nearing me.

At this point, I could defend Man Chai but it would risk the two of us getting eaten alive. Even if Man Chai was a mythical creature, he is no longer in good shape to defend me.