33 - What's Beneath

Synthia

"Hey."

I was pulled out from my thoughts when I felt a nudge on my forearm. I looked over to my side and saw Ga-Ming smiling at me.

Man Chai, on the other hand, was peacefully napping on top of Ga-Ming's head.

"Hey." I replied back.

"You're deep in thought again." Ga-Ming said, frowning.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I'm just reminiscing the days when Asato was still alive.

<FLASHBACK>

"If  you're going to beat your bully, you have to stop acting that way."

I could remember how he looked so furious upon seeing me with a blasted lip and a bruise on my cheek.

I was crying so loud in front of Asato that day. I think I was around 8 years old when that happened.

Asato was 8 years older than me and thought at his young age, mother and father had already exposed him to many responsibilities being the eldest in our family.

Father would bring him into meetings, travel to different nations while mother would teach him other duties that he has to do as the next head of the clan.

Surely, at this point, he was already too exhausted to deal with his sister getting beat up by some random kid.

He doesn't like cry-babies but Asato has always had a soft spot for me.

As I was crying, I felt him pull me into a hug. I cried even more when he did so. I was expecting him to be so furious but then, he just hushed me and tried to comfort me in the ways that he know.

He then pulled away from me. I looked up and I saw that smile on his face.

 I looked up and I saw that smile on his face

ASATO

"Now, now." He let out a soft chuckle. "Stop crying. It'll be alright." He tucked a stray strand of my hair behind my ear before he held my hand and walked me back home.

Once we reached home, he sat me down on the couch in the living room before he went to the kitchen.

Moments later, he would arrive with a few ice cubes at hand and a slice of my favourite pudding.

"Here. Let me patch you up." He carefully pinched my cheeks before he applied the ice cube on my swollen lip. I could not help but tear up again.

"Hey, Synthia. No need to cry now." He rubbed my tears away with my thumb. "Next time, I'll teach you how to fight so that whenever I'm not around, you'll be able to protect yourself." He smiled, handing me the pudding.