42 - Skeleton in the Closet

Synthia

I have been silent for a month.

Even my father.

After the events that happened that followed the betrayal, it felt so odd that there was no trouble at all. It somehow makes me so uneasy.

It's early in the morning; the sun hasn't risen yet and I found myself standing on the balcony, my elbows resting on the railings as I look into the surroundings outside.

Even when the sun was barely up, there were already few people walking down the harbor; some were opening their stalls and some were headed towards the ship that had newly docked.

"Synthia?"

I heard a familiar voice.

I looked over my shoulder and saw Man Chai, floating towards me, as he lazily rubbed the sleepiness from his eyes.

I then felt him perch on my shoulder before he started to purr.

"You should be sleeping, Man Chai. It's too early to be awake," I whispered, trying my best to keep my voice down as Ga-Ming was still asleep.

"I sensed you were no longer on the bed. So, I had to find you," He yawned, allowing me to catch a glimpse of his talon-like fangs.

I let out a soft giggle before I petted him.

"Is something wrong?" He asked.

I was hesitant to reply for a moment. Or maybe, I really don't know what to say at that very moment.

Like what I said, both my father and I have been silent for a month. There was no ambush, no threats, no spies, especially right after I discovered that Uncle Tan has been a part of this cruel action.

It gives me a pit in my stomach knowing that I don't have the slightest idea of what will happen next.

Yes, I have met my real mother, I have known the truth. Surely, being stagnant wasn't the solution I was aiming for but even though I hated them so much for deceiving me, I still could not bring myself to actually go against the man who created me.

Even if he wronged my mother,

He was still my father.

"Synthia?"

Man Chai's voice pulled me out of my thoughts.

"I'm fine, Man Chai," I tried to smile at him but the Suanni was already frowning at me. He then rubbed his cheek against mine making me giggle.

"Things have been difficult for you, Ga-Ming and I know." He ascended from my shoulder and floated in front of me. "Remember that we are here to help. When the world is against you, Ga-Ming and I will be the only ones who will be there for you,"

I smiled at the creature and somehow, I felt a stray tear leave my eye. Man Chai might have noticed it since he floated closer to reach out his paw to wipe the tear from my cheek. I held his paw before petting his head.

"I know," I whispered.

I know very well that Ga-Ming and Man Chai were the only ones I could trust at this point but then,

I don't want to see Ga-Ming hurt anymore.

I have caused him so much trouble ever since I met him. I love him so much but I could not stand there and watch him take all the blows that were supposed to be taken by me.

I turned around and my eyes fell on the bed where Ga-Ming and I slept.

He was sleeping soundly, laying down on his belly with his arms sprawled out while a string of saliva fell from his half open mouth. The sight made me giggle for a short while but I was instantly filled with dread later on.