45 - A Love Unrequited

Akihiro

The preparations for the wedding went as quickly as I thought it would. My father and Master Akio had already made the necessary changes, the venue was already prepared and they even now have the final lists of guests.

Judging by how long the list is, the wedding will surely be a huge one and looking at it, most of the people invited are highly respected people from Inazuma and other nations such as Sumeru, Fontaine and Liyue.

I found myself writing yet another poem in my study while I think of the events that will be happening in a few days. At this point, I did not know exactly what to feel because firstly, I am incredibly joyed knowing that I would be wed to Synthia and secondly, I feel that enormous amount of sadness.

Maybe it's because I know that everything between us is one-sided.

Thinking about it gives me an ache in my chest but I am quite amazed about how I push these feelings away and still attempt to hope for the better, still knowing that it wouldn't end well for me.

I laid down the pen on the paper and took in a deep breath. I have been writing for several hours now. Correction. I have been staring at the same two lines for several hours now.

Normally, writing poems would be the easiest task I would do but it seems like my mind is so bothered that words fail to pop in my head.

"Oh Archons," I muttered under my breath before slumping my shoulders and forehead on the table. "What am I going to do?" I let out a heavy sigh before fishing out for a familiar object in my breast pocket. I then lifted my head up and stared at the small locket I always bring wherever I go.

"Oh, mother." I opened the locket and the face of a woman was revealed. She has long brown hair that rests on her shoulders and beautiful chocolate brown eyes. She is as gorgeous as I first saw her when I was 7; the most beautiful woman I have ever seen but unfortunately, I lost her to an incurable disease. How my world shattered after she died.

Unlike my father, my mother was my shoulder to cry on. She always knows what to do and she knows how to calm my anxious heart. Growing up, I tend to get uneasy when it comes to the idea of the unknown but as long as I was with her, I had nothing to worry about.

But, after she passed away, I had to learn to calm myself on my own. I didn't want to be a bother to my father nor to my younger siblings so, I have to be always at my best and not show any weakness at all.

Though at some point, I get tired holding up my facade.

A knock on my door disturbed my chaotic thoughts. It was then followed by a muffled voice that I failed to recognize at first.

"Who is it?" I asked, straightening my back.

"It's me, Master. Who else?" The male behind the door chuckled. Once I figured who it was, I stood up from my seat and walked to the door. I then reached out for the knob, twisted it and swung it open and I was greeted by a familiar face.

"Oh, Sanchez," I smiled at him.

"Mind if I stay here for a while, master?" He giggled before letting himself inside my room.

He may be my messenger but Sanchez is a close friend of mine. So, he is more than welcome here in my room. Aside from him, I don't normally let anyone inside.

Once he was inside, I closed the door behind him before sighing.

"Is something wrong?" He asked as he sat down on the stool I sat on earlier. He then faced the table and began to scan through numerous papers that had been piling up ever since archons know how long.