Chapter 21

Olivia North

I gave the last document I signed to Nikkie so she can transmit it to the oil division. I looked at my phone to check the time and it's only 11:30 in the morning.

"Anything else, Ms. North?" she asked and I looked up at her. She's standing in front of me holding 3 sets of documents on her left hand. I smiled at her and told her to sit.

"Nikkie, aside from the job, why did you accept the post to be my secretary?" I asked her while shutting off my computer.

You can see it in her face that she did not expect my query. I raised my brows at her to encourage her to answer.

"Oh, uhm... At first, I only thought about the salary because the company's offer was twice as much as that of other secretarial jobs. I was so happy when I was listed as part of the three applicants who passed the HR interview out of the ten, I asked myself why were they screening us so strictly and even told us about the salary before job offer. Then, on the day of my interview with you, I realized why the HR offered us that kind of salary. Miss North, please don't get angry." she pleaded when she saw I furrowed my brows.

"I am not. Continue." I calmly stated as I leaned back on my chair. For the record, I furrowed my brows because I didn't know that they offered twice the salary of an average secretary to be my sec.

"After my interview with you, I thought that you won't choose me because of my lack of years of secretarial experience. But when the HR called me that night, I was ecstatic and nervous because I had a job and nervous because you will be my boss." she said hesitantly and looked at my face to see if there's a hint of anger.

"You were so intimidating, Ms. North. In my first two weeks of being your secretary, I happened to think to pass my resignation statement twice because I thought that I was not efficient to be one. But then you keep on encouraging me, pushing me to be perfect, and most especially, your kind to us, your employees. 4 months of being your secretary, I haven't experienced what the media foretold us about you. Yes, you were a little hot headed sometimes but you never once humiliate and discriminate us. You also make sure that you reprimand us in private, not in front of so many people. Oh, in addition, you also don't compel me to render OT so I can still have my social life." she paused and smiled genuinely at me and continued, "So to answer your question, Ms. North, I accepted to be your secretary not just because of the salary but because of the good work ethics you exemplify."

After she said that, I smiled at her.

"You know, why I chose you?" I asked her and leaned my body on the table. Curiosity was etched on her face as she tilted her head to the left.

"Because you were so nervous that time. You couldn't even look at my face. The two women who I interviewed first, they were so confident because they thought that their years of experience could make them get into the company and also they were so irritating. So I chose you instead and I felt that you and I will make a good team." I smiled and winked at her. She chuckled and thanked me.

"You know Nikkie, I just hope that you won't resign once Zac assigned me another shit ton of divisions." I joked but I really was hoping for her not to resign because I really like her as my secretary.

"I won't, Ms. North. I know I won't get a boss like you again." she said

"Yes, because most of the bosses out there are either too old and boring, or ugly." I joked and we laughed.

"Anyway, since I am free the whole afternoon, I will scoot now. Tell those people who will be looking for me that I went on a date." I told her and put my laptop inside my bag.