Chapter 1

The one where it all began

Skyler

I can't believe I am late again. I need this job. I can't miss this. Let me introduce myself I am Skyler. I am 23 years old. I live in this small apartment with my grandmother, the only family I have.

You may be wondering What about my parents? I would rather not discuss them. Shit happens and I won't discuss them, it brings back all the bad memories.

Moving on, I graduated early because I worked twice as hard only because I had to work to earn sufficient to pay the rent of the apartment and various other bills. I didn't want to be a burden to grandma.

I was working as an assistant at my previous job but I got fired recently because I was late to work. Don't judge me, I had to take grandma to the doctor because she was sick. I had two interviews today but I missed one because I am late.

Usually, I am not this late but last night I ended up searching for information about the company I have my interview in. I wanted this job desperately and I hope I get this job.

I put on my heels and run across the hall. I saw Grandma in the kitchen as she yells at me warning me. I would have taken that advice if I wasn't late."Careful Sky. You will trip if you run in those heels."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Grandma has always been by my side. She was there for me and took care of me. From waking me up early to get me to school, then high school, and then so on.

She mumbles scratching her head.
"I am sorry I forgot. Here eat this." I am a grown-up now. I shouldn't need anyone to wake me up. I slap my forehead in frustration. I was about to leave when I remembered something. I say looking at her."Did you take your pills?"

"No. I will take them later."

"I know your later means never."
I take the bottle of medicine and made her take them. After making a few faces I shoot a stare and she gulped it down. I was late but this was more important. After giving her the medicine I left for work...
"I am late. Store it in the fridge I will eat it when I am back."

I press the button of the lift and waited eagerly. Time was ticking.

"The lift is under service, Skyler." My neighbor says as she sees me in front of the lift. I have to take the stairs. Everything had to go wrong now. I quickly ran down the stairs and reaching the ground floor. I was panting for breath. I took a deep breath and ran my way to the bus stop.

This is the worst. The bus had to arrive late today. I couldn't wait for the bus. You better run, Skyler. The reason I am wearing heels was to create a good impression. When you are late everything makes you late. God, I hate these heels. I hope I reach on time.

I was already frustrated because I was late and then when I was crossing the road someone almost hit me with their car. I could have died and he made me more late.