Chapter 18

Shane

Shane

I picked Skyler in my arms and I made her sit in the car. I cried as I saw the blood scattered all over her dress. Her words repeated on my mind. I don't want to die. I don't want anything to happen to her. I don't want her to die.

I brought Skyler to the hospital as fast as I can. The doctors take her in to check up and I was left outside. After the doctors checked up on her. He called me to his cabin to talk about her condition.

I was worried about what he will say. I kind of felt it was my fault that her condition was worsening. If only I saw her reports the same day things would not have worsened. I was so careless that it slipped my mind.

My mind raced and I was sweating. My hands were clammy and sweaty because I was nervous. My voice cracked as I asked.
"Will she be fine, doctor?"

His smile gave me a bit of relief. I knew that he had good news with him. I crossed my fingers. "Everything is fine. I checked her reports. We are lucky to have caught it in the earlier stage but still, we cannot be sure about it. We will start our treatment right away."

"However. She needs care. Often people get depressed and get irritated on small things. Having someone by her side will help. Her body will be going through changes and make sure she isn't stressed about anything."

I carefully listened to what the doctor had to say. He told me all the changes that can occur due to this. I had to take care of her. It's my turn to own up to my mistakes. I will be there for her now and do whatever it takes for her to recover."Okay, doctor."

"We will keep her for the night. You can take her home then." The doctor signed some reports and prescribed some medicines.
"Can I see her now?"

And he nods. I went into the room where Skyler was. She was awake and it seemed like she was waiting for me to come. She was staring at the wall and as soon as she heard the door creak she looked at me. I pulled a chair in front of her bed and sat then I hold her hand as she speaks."What did the doctor say?"
She coughed as she said.

"Everything is fine." The doctor said she cannot stress about things. She tries to sit up and I glare at her and she lays back down. Then very softly she mumbles."Am I going to  be fine, Shane?"

I saw the frown on her face. I know nothing can change that but I tried."Hey, you are Skyler there is nothing you can't fight. I lost it for the first time from you. There is nothing you can't fight. You don't realize how strong you are." I said it with a smile and she giggled a bit and started coughing. "I am sorry."

"It's fine, Shane. At least you made me laugh. When can we go back home? I hate hospitals." She smiles.

"Tomorrow morning when you wake up. You will be home. Now rest while I have to go do some formalities." When I stand up to go. Skyler holds my hand looks at me with pleading eyes as she says.
"Don't leave me here alone, Please."

"Okay. I will stay here." I sit back on my chair and  I sandwich her hand between my hands and give her a reassuring smile. I hold her hand and talk to her until she fell asleep. I just look at her while she was sleeping.

How strong my girl is. She is so strong and brave. She went through it all alone but this time I am going to be her strength. After she was fast asleep I slowly let go of her hand and went out.

She was asleep so I carried her home. I made her sleep on her bed and went back to my room. My clothes were stained with blood and I quickly take a shower and changed into something else. I went back to her room, she was still sleeping so I went downstairs to the kitchen to make breakfast.

When I went back up, she was sitting on her bed, and as soon as she sees me. She smiles."You are awake. I brought you breakfast."

"A few minutes ago."
I placed the tray aside as I sit on the bed facing her. "Shane, What did the doctor say yesterday? Will I be fine? I need to know."

"Skyler, Everything is fine. They will start their treatment right away. Nothing serious." I tried assuring her.

"Shane..."
She immediately hugs me and broke down into tears. "Why does everything go wrong when everything is right? All my life I tried to prove that I am not like my parents. I didn't even know why they were in jail until that day when I saw them at the police station. My only friend moved away from me and then Gran, lt me too. When things were finally on track and I was happy then this I don't know if I will survive this."

I just held her patting her back. Seeing her break down made me miserable but I knew I had to strong. I hold her face wiping away her tears. "Nothing will happen to you. I told you. You are stronger than this."

She said with teary eyes."You can't promise me that..." I was quiet. I didn't know what to answer. I was unsure too about that what if but I refuse to lose hope. I had to stay strong for her and I will do everything and anything to save her...

"Your silence gives me my answer. You don't know Shane. It's a matter of time that you will leave me too like Olivia and Grandma when I start losing my hair or when I can no longer walk." I place a finger on her lips. One thing was for sure. I will not leave her now.

Not because she needs someone. It's because I love her. I won't be able to leave her even if I want to. I don't know what I will do without her. "Don't, I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU Skyler and I won't break this promise. I am here with you."

"NEVER SAY NEVER."

2 months later

I did my best to find the best doctors for Skyler and her treatment started that day itself. I never left her side and went to every doctor's appointment and checkup.

I did all my work from home while Tyler took over for a time being. I didn't want to go to work when I would only think of what she was doing and that something can happen to her when I will not be home.

I did my best I could. I comforted her when she had nightmares and had trouble sleeping. She was recovering slowly but we can't say anything.

Every day I prayed that she recovers and dreamt of my future with her. I never lost hope. Never had he lost any hope. She broke down a few times is when I comforted her.

"Are you sure?" I was unsure about this. She was forcing me to go office for some important meeting. I don't know if I can leave her home. "I am sure. I am not a kid Shane I will be fine. Now go."

"Alright, Sky." Skyler then places a kiss on my cheek as I left for work. I still didn't feel like going to work leaving her alone at home but what can I say?

She is stubborn. So I quickly went to work so that I can complete this meeting fast and hurry back home. The entire time I was thinking of her.

The meeting went on longer than I expected. I didn't waste more time and drove back home. As soon as I reached home, I called out for Skyler, and when she didn't answer and I was terrified when she didn't answer me back.

I checked by the pool and then her room. She was nowhere to be found. I knew this was a bad idea leaving her alone. I checked everywhere but she was nowhere.

(Will Shane find Skyler? Where did Skyler go? Will Skyler's condition recover or worsen. Readout in next.)

...Thank you for reading...
Vote if you like the chapter.
Comments are appreciated.