Chapter 19

Shane

Shane

I searched for her everywhere. I was checking for her when I was walking past the lobby and I saw the light coming out of the library. The door was open and she was in.

She had a book in her hand and slept in the chair with the book in her hand. I let out a sigh of relief as soon as I saw her. I went in closer and took off her glasses. I placed the book on the shelf after which I went closer to her and kissed her forehead and I whispered.
"You scared me for a moment, Sky."
Her eyelids were still shut but she gave me a wicked smile and said.

"Good thing to know that I can scare you." She giggles.

"You were awake. Wait, you."
I started tickling her and she tried to hit me with the cushion on me to stop me but failed. She was giggling and I couldn't help but smile seeing her like this.

"Shane, Stop." She was laughing and then starts coughing. I stop tickling her and then rub her back to calm her until she stops coughing. "I am sorry Skyler. I should have stopped when you said."

She gets up and starts running across the hall."Catch me if you can."

"Skyler.Stop.You should not run. Sky, Listen to me and stop.Please."
Skyler starts running and I ask her to stop. It was not good for her but she didn't listen to me. It can only increase her heartbeat and she will feel short of breath.

She doesn't listen to me. I tried catching her but she was fast. After a while, she stopped gasping for breath. I knew this would happen but she doesn't listen to me.
I raised my tone."You shouldn't be running around like that."

"I tried to cheer you up. You don't have to remind me about what I should do and what I shouldn't. You don't have to remind me every time that I am sick." She yells and ran to her room. Shit! I shouldn't have raised my tone at her. I followed her but she locked her door.

"I am sorry Skyler. I didn't mean that when I said. I am just worried about you. Let me in." I said from outside the door. She was angry at me which was right. I shouldn't have yelled at her knowing her condition.

"I don't want to talk to you."

"Sky, I am sorry. I just don't want anything to happen to you."
I apologized again but she doesn't listen."Leave me alone. Go away."

"I won't go until you let me in."
I had the key to the door. I could have entered in with the key but I didn't. She yelled back."If that's what you want. Stay there. I am not opening the door."

I knew how to convince her.
"How about we watch a movie and I make you dinner? I can also read a book to you until you sleep."
I could hear her coming close to the door as I heard the faint footsteps behind the door. I felt her presence as she stood right behind the door not saying anything.

"I know you are standing near the door. Open the door, I know you want to."

"How do you know I am here?" She whispers yells.

"I can feel you and I know you can't deny my offer. Alright, you can choose the movie." She immediately opened the door and hugged me. I knew what I had to do to convince her."I am sorry I shouldn't have snapped back at you. You were looking out for me."

"Skyler, you don't have to apologize. I completely understand. Wait is that my hoodie?" I realize that she was wearing my hoodie. This was the first time she was wearing my clothes and what can I say? I liked my clothes on her.

"Yeah. I can't help. It's comfy and it smells of you. I feel like you are here with me." She was blushing and I smiled at that. She looked adorably cute when blushing.

"Well, all yours then. It looks good on you than it looks on me. I am always here with you. Now let's make you dinner."

We had dinner and Skyler chose a Disney movie. As per the agreement I had to watch it.
"I can't believe I watched a Disney movie today." My eyes were on her and not on the movie and never will I admit I liked it because she will never stop talking about it.
"I know you liked it but I don't think you were watching the movie."

"I can't help." I then pull her close holding her by her waist from the back and kissing her cheek from behind. It was late and we went off to sleep and as promised I read her a book until she fell asleep.

I kept the book aside and took off my glasses. I switched off the lamp and then I take a glance at her tucking her hair behind her hair. I kissed her forehead and slept holding her.

I was sleeping when I woke up to the loud noise. I find Skyler was no longer sleeping beside me. Sky...
I immediately ran downstairs only to find Skyler sitting on the floor holding her head with both of her hands and she was all in tears.

She covered her face with her hands trying to catch a breath as she was sobbing. I sit down and hold her hand. She only spoke out.
"Shhh! Skyler everything is fine..."
She then hugs me and I embraced her holding her head pulling her close to me.

"I don't want to die. I want to live a normal life like others. Everything is changed. You left work to take care of me. You had to give up everything for me. I can't do this to you, Shane. It's unfair to you. I will go and then I will lose you. I can't give you what you want." I could feel her muscles tense up as I held her. She was scared and I could feel it.

"No, You won't die."

"I am not a kid Shane. I know this is going to happen." I didn't know how to respond. All of it was hard for me too. Every day was depressing for me too. She was healing but you never know. I also had my doubts about what if?

Every time she breaks down and whenever she had to go through her treatments. I get terrified when she coughs or sneezes. It hurts me to see her going through everything. She already had enough. She already lost enough and she doesn't deserve this.

Every day I pray to God that she recovers. If only I could take away her pain. I met Skyler and in a very short period, I grew feelings for her and I became so close to her that it scares me to death even at the thought of Skyler, not with me.

I couldn't imagine my life without her.

It broke me down but I cannot be weak so I pretended to be strong
whenever every day I was scared too. I cannot break down. I had to stay strong for her.

"If one thing I learned from you Skyler was to never give up. You were hellbent on proving me wrong and did your work without complaining that I had to accept my defeat. I never like losing but that day I was happy that I lost because my defeat made you happy. You stayed strong all the way even after everything and that made me fall in love with you because you never gave up and you won't now. I love you Skyler and I don't regret it for a second to be with you every time because that way I get to spend more time with you. Who says I gave up everything for you? You are my everything and I tell you no one misses me at work because they got rid of me for a time being."

She giggles and I was a bit relieved to see her laugh. I say."WE WILL FIGHT THIS TOGETHER."

  ...Thank you for reading...