Chapter 11 ( M)

Despite my pleas, it seemed in everyone's best interests for Verando to stay behind with the boys while I fulfilled my commitments. The boys were much too young for a real hunting trip and with the summer heat in full swing, Verando didn't feel motivated to drag toddlers through the woods chasing feral wolves. He did not approve, after listening to his rationality, neither did I. 

I felt nervous, on edge, as I packed my bag with a week's worth of outdoors type clothes. I wasn't sure how long I'd be gone and I didn't want to run out of outfits in the outdoors, looking at the forecast it seemed like rain was most prominent on the agenda. Despite Verando assuring me that it could mean good hunting, I was less and less thrilled with my decision. 

In my study, I thumb through the news on my laptop in the long moments before they would arrive to whisk me away into the wilderness. The healing was much slower than I had anticipated, with large zones still holding onto their deserts. Fishing was on the increase, the dead spots in the oceans were shrinking by the day, but the earth was still in critical condition. For that reason, I could forgive the rain. 

Feeling out of touch with nature was odd for me in my, now, conscious state. I could sense nothing of the outside world, besides what I could smell. There was no way to tap into the health of the planet surrounding me. I made the decision that when I returned, I'd call Tyler and check in with him on the state of things. Despite Pascal being a modern-day Solomonari, with no schooling, she was quite useless in the arts of the planet. 

Perhaps that was the downfall of society, with the population down into horrifyingly low numbers, the caretakers of the planet were few and far between. I scroll through air quality, resting my chin in my palm with a sigh, was it wrong to hope that Fergus would have fixed all this before he turned into a toddler? 

I feel him before I see him, flicking my gaze up as he enters with a peace offering of a cinnamon roll. Sitting on the edge of the desk, he rolls his eyes at the news and closes the laptop. "Oftentimes, before a hunt, I'd talk with Alpha, not browse the internet."

Sneering in response, I take the pastry and sigh contentedly at the first bite. "Me and my wolf both approve of this kill so graciously provided by our soul mate." The humor doesn't touch his eyes, it isn't often I see him slouch, and yet he seems to almost deflate at the thought. Resting his palms on the desk, he watches out the rear window at the rolling dark clouds threatening to drown us in a week's worth of rain. "You look worried."

"I am." He doesn't hide things from me anymore. "Echo is a good mentor, she taught Tonic a lot about instinct." In other words, he was trying not to worry me before I left. Taking another bite, I turn in my chair to watch out the window as well. 

"What're you looking at?" It's a small attempt to enjoy him for a little while longer, leaving while knowing he was miserable made it all the more difficult. 

Verando considers not answering me, I can tell by the calculating expression before finally he stands and moves to open the window in a swift motion. "Nothing. The wind is blowing, I'm listening to what it has to say. You'd get a better idea of the conditions if you left your window open. The wind is your best guide in the woods, you should know that being a Solomonari."

"I'm not a Solomonari anymore." I remind him shortly, taking one more bite before setting the pastry down to stand and walk to his side. With a slow inhale, I sample the swirling air, tasting the wet rain on my tongue while savoring the salty backdrop of the harbor spray. Leaning my cheek against his bicep, I curl my arm around his, lacing our fingers together as I admire the way his scent so easily mixes with the current. 

"You carry more of it than you give yourself credit for. You're also quite easily distracted." Bringing his hand across the short space, he tilts my chin up with a small smile. "Much as I don't want you to go, I'm relieved to see that you've finally begun to return to me. I was growing bored with your obedience."