Chapter 35 ( M)

The room becomes still, it was the million-dollar question. If he had picked a man, then why hadn't he picked Caspian? What had lead him to accept me when Caspian had been more than willing? Since the day that 'Beta' claimed I'd bewitched the man, I'd often wondered what had gone on between the two. What had led the man to seek him for so long, to make an attempt at every opportunity? Caspian had had an addiction to the warlord, much like Kestrel to Helen. 

Was it really so potent? Was it truly just genetics?

 When I'd met Verando, he had a mile-high libido but he was damaged, uncertain in himself as far as his sexuality. Our relationship had taken years to become what it was, where he could be open with me, vulnerable and trusting. Every time a subject such as this arises, I can't help but get nervous. What if he regressed? What if it sent him backwards again? 

Verando holds Darrius a little closer, he hadn't expected to be dissected. I watch him, unable to remove my eyes from the stress on his face, yet still admiring the way he holds Darrius so close to his chest. "I..." 

Was his hesitation because he didn't want to say it in front of me? Or because, perhaps, he truly didn't know? I knew he loved me, I knew he preferred me, but why? 

"Caspian was my best friend but catered to my vices, I don't have a preference for men. I have a preference for Nic. I don't find Caspian anymore attractive than I do Marcello or any other man. You know, as well as I do, how his advances made us feel." His eyes fall on the younger version of himself now, who looks taken aback, unwilling to unearth such a confession. 

"You don't realize it now, but one day you're going to open your eyes and realize that you're a prize to be won, not someone that actually matters. It's not Caspian's fault, not entirely, but he is incapable of seeing you as an equal."

Randy stares at the ground, quickly averting his eyes, making Caspian take a step back. 

"What, have you gone mad? You're acting like I'm the villian in this story. I know I'm a bad guy now but shit, don't I get a side to this story?" The young Spanish male questions. 

When Randy bares no answers he turns to stare at my husband. 

"That doesn't make any sense, I wasn't trying to-" Running a hand through his hair, he grumbles to himself in Spanish with an annoyed groan. The demon begins to unearth, the monster from within, I can practically feel the spring coiling. He was a fun, charismatic man, until the surface was brushed to the side and the beast within was revealed. 

I could agree. It wasn't Caspian's fault, trauma did horrible things to good people and his father had not been kind to him, but that didn't stop the continuous torment on a young man who was a breath away from leaping to his death off the nearest building.  Those golden eyes fall on this new opponent. My husband. 

"You fucked everyone, anyone who would give you the time of day, I just wanted to know why you were so unwilling to have me. Do you have any idea how long I've loved you? How hard it was for me to beat you when our fathers pit us against each other and you laid there like a sorry-" He stops, noticing the slim Randy almost shrinking away. 

His raised voice brought on the recoil, I had seen this before in it's meagerest of forms and often wondered where it came from. Verando didn't like to be alone, much as he sought out his own sanctuary, he didn't like to sleep alone. Days at a time he would be awake, only to grab a nap as soon as I was available. Caspian was a threat, he would leave if the young man didn't cooperate. 

Caspian was a ticking time bomb, unpredictable, and bred for violence. But he was consistent, he was the man's only friend outside of female entertainment, he was the source of the drugs and the answer to any trouble they might get into. This Randy needed Caspian.