Chapter 57 (M)

I can only swallow back my desire to give him whatever he wants. It hurts me, physically and emotionally, to see him in so much pain. In a strange sense of cruel progression, I was finally beginning to see glimpses of the Verando I loved. I could see who he would become, see the path that would lead him into my life. I could not alter it. 

Capturing his face in my hands, his eyes tell me he wants me to kiss him. Randy had hoped I would lean into this trap, the desperation, as others saw just what I had. The mastermind behind the warlord, I was to experienced with his current self for this to work on me so easily. While I needed him to love me, I needed to stop risking my future with the version that was my own. 

 I had to show him, through loyalty to himself, that I was worth waiting for. "Everything you do and everything that you are will bring you to me. Randy, I will do everything in my power to wipe this whole thing from your memory and then you will just.. go on.. living your life. You're going to find me, and we are going to help each other. It's written, it's going to happen."

He's already shaking his head and I tighten my grip on his face, forcing him to keep my gaze as I feel him attempt to recoil. "No. No. I don't want to forget, I don't want to go back to drugs and-"

"Randy." My voice is stern, I brush his cheeks with my thumb and bring a smile to my lips, trying to reassure him. "You and I are exceptionally good at figuring out avoiding the end of time, we've done it... hmm.. twice now I think. Also, I'd like to remind you that I like you for a lot more than just this part. Come on." Taking his hand in mine, I lead him through the crowd.   

Down from the viewing box, I lead him through the halls and into the main theatre where we could experience the roar of the crowd. It truly was a site to behold, something I never would have expected from a dictator with a reputation such as his. Even though he was only set to make a very small appearance, those willing to show up to support him, and us, was inspiring. 

The crowd was bigger than I could have imagined, tightly packed into the theatre where every space was filled. Siren's and lycans working together to bring peace, the scent of burning atmosphere heavy in my nose reassures me the crowd is full of magic users. While it wasn't a family event, it gave me hope that one day soon my children would be able to partake in something like this. 

"I love you because you inspire people to do amazing things. You would do whatever it took to keep your family safe and happy." Leaning on the door frame, I let the atmosphere flood my senses, drowning in the overload and enjoying the flex of power in that I could sense the hundreds of heart beats, rumbling like a drum below the volume of the crowd. I could smell their food, their excitement, the intoxication and arousal of a Siren concert. 

My nerves were alive, every fiber cataloging the inventory before me. Verando takes the stage to a hearty greeting, I note the nearly skin tight black shirt and the clingy material as the top of a body suit Marcello had commissioned. A protective layer, a warning, that we were prepared for retaliation. 

"This will be my last appearance in Europe from some time, as I have buisness to attend and a honeymoon to enjoy. But the message we leave behind is not one to be forgotten. To make it through this, we must all rally, for even though there is a light at the end of the tunnel, we have yet to see the true colors of our enemy. Look not at your fellow man, but the ones who hide behind the lines of exspenable bodies and make commands of which they know no consequences. 

We must keep moving forward. Look to your heroes and support with your voice, with your actions, with your funding. We are calling for an end to all Artifice interference."

I feel the concern catch in my throat. Every threat on Artifice has been met with prompt retaliation. But, with Caspian in our custody, perhaps now we the time to make such claims.