Chapter 98

(Enjoy the new cover for Book Six! You'll have to let me know what you think! That is Nic and Helen.) 

Sighing contentedly, I pop a fork full of pasta in my mouth with a moan of appreciation. Italian was not something I often got to partake in but it was a guilty pleasure of mine. Despite the unusual nature of it, I enjoyed the occasional bite my husband offered me, while allowing me to feed myself, it seemed he appreciated participating in how much I enjoyed the meal. 

Verando had assured me he would repay me for cutting our fun short, I was thoroughly pleased with the measures he'd taken to insure I was satisfied in at least one way. While it had been my intention to continue the art of seduction here at dinner, I struggled to find anything sexy out of devouring the savory pasta. Taking a bite off my fork, Verando seems less than impressed. 

"You don't like white sauce?" I tease.

Shirt unbuttoned at the top, tie resting loosely over his shoulders, he reclines slightly in his chair to sip his wine and watch me eat. A picture of my desire before me, making my mouth water all over again at the thought of what I'd like to do to him. "Not particularly. Though I'm not surprised you enjoy it."

"I love anything cream based." I retort happily, though catching the impish nature of the devious grin, I flush at the nature of his words. "I'm the foul one and you make an induendo like that?" It wasn't often he caught me off guard in such a way, he wasn't one to usually make jokes with his dry humor.

The new musculature must be draining on him to give him such a healthy appetite, though I wasn't complaining to see him finally feeding himself. Nor was I upset about the throw back to my feral husband, even his hair had slowly begun to grow back out. The slightly longer length, the rippling muscles, the way his shirt was so casually laid open. 

I wet my lips just watching him, earning a curious eyebrow raise as I catch the tip of my fork between my teeth in a tempting nibble.

How was one supposed to even achieve 'sexy'? Like a thirsty man in the desert, I craved more.

With the gentle light of the candle, illuminating the intimate nature of the booth, I take a bread stick and imagine what one would do with it if they were attempting to be seductive. Falling short, I can only manage to wave it around, keeping it near my lips. 

"If I knew that exercising you in this way would help you eat, I would bed you more often." With a giggle, I wait for his response, only to get a slight smirk as he takes me in. "You're deep in thought. Undressing me with your eyes?" I manage, earning a moment of hesitation.

"I'm absolutely smitten. You've rendered me useless of any breath of restraint." He exhales, tracing the nearest edge of the glass lightly with his lower lip before placing it back on the table. "Conflicted, in a sense, as well I suppose."

"About the school?"

Scoffing, he folds his hands into his lap, ever the professional. "'Fraid not, darling, I've already written that monstrosity off."

Frowning, I bump him under the table with my foot. It seemed like a poor set of circumstances to judge the entire idea on. We knew Senator Campbell would be there, and the place itself seemed quite well done. We at least knew the fire suppression was up to code, they also did not resort to violence when they were worried about two lycans killing each other.

"Please give it a chance. I know it's scary, but everything has to start somewhere. We have to be willing to listen, Darrius needs this." It's a quiet plea, producing tension in his jaw as he listens though I can already see the argument forming. "They could have shot you but they didn't, they decided to use the water instead. It means there are people there who have these kids best intentions at heart."