Chapter 36

If I wasn't still riding the high of satisfaction, I might have been in a bigger hurry. It was no surprise that we had an active lifestyle when at all possible. The key players who I was concerned about had already gone, who else was there to hear? "Shit, the door." I hiss, pushing away from my soggy husband as if somehow we could undo the volume at which our love-making had reached. 

"Perhaps that'll teach you to keep a lid on your libido until we can be alone." He comments, plucking at the soaked shirt. I tilt my head to admire him, licking my lips at the gorgeous being before me. I would have to remember to get him wet more often, he was quite the specimen. His voice lowers as he hesitates, bringing me to pause, we are both still as I listen to the shuffle of feet down the hall. 

"What's that?" I ask curiously, we both exit the room to tread down that hallway. I hear the distant conversation of our companions downstairs and note the voices. The muffled conversation rolls under the door from my office and I give Verando a worried look. 

Gritting his teeth, he opens the door quickly. 

Young Randy sits on the desk, pupils enlarged, wavering in consciousness as Caspian stands between his legs. His lips find the man's neck, the youth obviously drugged out of his mind given his lack of response or even acknowledgment of the action.

In a single second, time stops. I see him, for the vulnerability that is there brings my warlord in a full circle. He is clean, crisp, and controlled because when he's out of control he's absolutely spiraling. The young man is checked out, gone outside of the drug use, and accepting his fate for his worth sits in the palm of the Spanish man's hands.  Caspian tilts the drifting man's head, kissing him before looking over his shoulder at us with a look of resentment. 

"Always something." He scowls. "How could I help myself after such a tempting display?"

The knife appears in my husband's hand and I quickly grab his fist. "Stop! You could hit yourself."

"If you weren't fucking so loudly, I might not have considered taking my chance. If you can claim what's yours, I felt it only fair to claim what's mine." Caspian mutters bitterly as I rush over, pushing him out of the way to grasp young Randy's face in my hands. The dull eyes watch me with a slow blink, the warmth of my hands stirring him from his trance. 

"What did you give him?" I ask desperately. 

"He was upset, he didn't trust me anymore, I gave him some pain killer." So dismissive, as if the youth was an inconvenience. As if his action was to our benefit. Caspian looked as though we should be thanking him.

Randy giggles, reaching up to touch my face, "I like you." He snickers, wrinkling his nose. "Shhh- They'll hear us." Clicking his tongue, he shudders and moves to slide off the table. "It's s'fine. I'm fine... totally... fine." Slumping to the floor, it's surprisingly easy for me to guide him down. 

Verando grips Caspian's wrist, threatening to break the man's arm. "Did you learn absolutely nothing? Are you so selfish that you'd risk changing the past? How did I block out what an absolute lunatic you are?"

"You never tried!" Caspian shouts bitterly at him, tears welling up in his eyes. "God be damned, Randy... I'm going to fight for this until my dying breath. Would you stop being so damned difficult?! Just let me love you!" 

Disgusted, Verando shoves him away, shaking his head in disbelief. "Go fuck yourself, Caspian. This isn't about you and your bloody obsession with me."

I can't allow their bickering to mess with the young man any further, glancing up at him with a look of concern, I clear my throat to get Verando's attention. "We need to call the medic, that medical unit could have anything, we don't even know what these drugs could do to you. You're sensitive enough as it is." Checking the man's pulse, it's deathly slow as he stares vacantly ahead of himself.