Chapter 71

As we near the house, the yard is alive with patrons. I'm walking too quickly, leaving my human companions in the dust as I try desperately to appear human. People in this part of the country didn't have as much experience with open magic, I didn't want to turn it into my own spectacle.

 Cars continue to pour in, parking on the grass with a sense of uniform direction that suggested to me this was a regular occurrence. 

Turning my attention to John, he doesn't look shocked and the betrayal starts to set in. I'd trusted him, I'd let my guard down and experienced something truly life-changing as far as a potential direction and career path. The cost of that was apparently the sanity of my warlord.

"What is this? Is this why you asked for my help? To get me out of the way so you could use my family as a means to further your social status?" Stepping towards him, Randy has to put his hands on my chest, my fists balled, my teeth flashing. The low growl in my chest frightens both of them. 

"Nic." His voice is soft, he reminds me so much of Verando because; he is. "It's not worth it." Those light eyes catch mine, I shove him as carefully as I can out of my way so I can scowl at John.

John frowns, pulling his hat off his head to scratch the top of his skull with the bill. "You think I'd been outside, slaving over that tractor, if I thought we would have a party? I'm as shocked as you are."

Much as I was upset, I was inclined to believe him. He had been the first to tell us how he felt about our sexuality, but he'd been honest with me for the majority of our time here. Jan, however, while she had been 'easier' to get along with; had felt like she wasn't entirely certain how we benefitted her family. 

Glaring towards the ground, I had to think past this, I had to focus on damage control.

"Last party didn't go so well," Randy grumbles, running a hand through his hair. "But, it appears there is alcohol. Might as well go get sloshed." 

"Don't you dare." I snap at him. "I'll castrate you where you stand."

Blinking in shock, he takes a step back, offended. "Last time I checked, my only job was to keep my cock to myself, not obey your command, 'Your Majesty.'"

"Are we still on this?" I can't stop myself, I'm upset and it comes out faster than I can comprehend it. "You know that this is the future, your future, I'd think you would be happy, least of all less of a prick to me at every opportunity. Maybe cut the self-loathing for one whole evening and do something for yourself for a change."

"Oh, of course, I'll try not to ruin your evening." Hurt, he rolls his eyes heavily, waving down Cas who looks just as confused as we did. "Ever think that this future isn't all that appealing?" I'm more so surprised that Cas looks at me with such a pleading expression, begging me to fix this. 

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I grab his wrist. he wheels on me with such aggression but I hold onto him. "Hey, I'm not saying you're going to fuck up. I'm saying that I'm asking for your help. You can't seriously think that this future looks bleak, you're happy."

Randy twists out of my grasp, flinching at the strength of my hold. "Funny, to me it looks like I'm doing the same fucked up shit I'm doing now, just babysitting children and cleaning up your messes. If I was happy, you wouldn't be rushing to stop me from offing myself or whatever it is you think I'm going to do. I've got news for you, sunshine, I'm fucking people then and I'm still fucking people now, getting your dick sucked by me really isn't much of a compliment or a damned guarantee. 

Stop acting like this is a prize to be won. It looks right shit to me." Storming off, I'm dumbfounded by his ability to say the exact wrong things. 

Torn, I'm wheeling, uncertain of what direction was the best to go in. I had to fix this, but I also had other responsibilities. John touches my shoulder, "Go after him."