Chapter 4

In my time in school, looking lost and uncertain was the best way to ensure survival. Those who wished to take advantage of you were often quick to swoop down in your weakest moments. Curling my arms around myself loosely, I allow my body heat to flow freely to the point where my cheeks felt uncomfortably warm. 

If they were any sort of salesmen at all, they would have seen me speaking to Tiberius and they would know who my husband was, but considering they felt comfortable to sell drugs at this event, it was possible they didn't suspect that Tiberius was at all involved with the heroes. Tiberius had made a point to push me off to Keeta, who often looked different every time I saw her. 

Connecting the dots, with no magical powers of their own, might be quite difficult without expertise on their side. Bait must lure the predator to them, not stalk the intended target. I planet myself in the center of the increasingly intoxicated crowd, listening to the croon of the music and watching social elites partake in those private conversations. Yet, as I thought of my role in this scheme, I felt no interest in the political sides of the room. 

This was new, dirty, uncertain work that involved my person in the field. I snag another glass of champagne off a nearby tray, taking a whiff before I bring it to my lips. The linger server with his full tray was bait all on its own. X was right, they were interested in me. 

I could smell the familiar stink of decay on the server who might have pocketed some money in exchange for keeping me well-stocked. I count my drinks, knowing that I'm getting close to my limit as I take one for the team and down it, much like a weaker person might do in the throes of despair. 

With little professionalism, the server returns, awkward as he takes my glass. "Excuse me sir, but could you find my husband for me?" I ask him, softly as I could as I snag another drink. "I'm a bit lost in all of this commotion." 

Blinking, the server quickly nods, "Of course, Your Majesty."

As he slinks off, I rub my biceps at the familiar chill of eyes peering at me from all directions. My body feels overly warm, my mind was calmer than it had been before my intoxication. My tolerance was slipping as I hadn't drunk like this in quite some months if not a year or more. "We meet again." The voice is cool, I simply glance over my shoulder in feigned surprise. 

"Oh. Yule, was it?" I manage, testing his wariness of me. The slightest hint of a frown pulls onto that papery skin as if he had hoped I was too drunk to remember who he was. "Oh, that's right, it was Charlie." I scoff at myself, bringing my glass to my lips but I don't drink, simply resting my teeth on the rim. 

"Yes. Charlie." He responds, suspicious. "What're you doing all alone?"

I shrug, allowing a slight playful sway in my body as I lower the glass. "It's not any fun hanging around what I don't have. You hurt me, Charlie, telling me that I had nothing. I was quite something not long ago if you'd recall."

The thin, sickly fingers fold in front of him once more, analyzing me with much more scrutiny than I was expecting. This was a professional con man, not some dime a dozen hybrid. Watching him, I could practically see the black aura emanating off his thin frame. Dark magic, he was overflowing with dark magic. "I know exactly what you were. All. Of what you were." He remarks, my mind was unable to age him as he seemed to almost appear to be a mirage before me. 

At times, I felt as if I was looking at a fifty-year-old, others he could have been in his early twenties. Each blink was almost a different man, the dark magic taste on my tongue was almost comforting in that it was the first one of my senses I had regained. "You really are an odd one, Charlie. I can't quite put my finger on you." I retort, smiling the slightest bit, playing along with the charade.