Chapter 87

Sliding out of the bed on shaky legs, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Physically, a lycan was meant to withstand the abuse of less than optimal care as well as heal at an accelerated rate. 

On paper, I was quite close to being healthy. Checking my weight, I'm shocked by the number on the scale considering my size. "Lycans are quite heavy. Don't look so surprised. You have a wolf living in you." Adriam passes off the inflated number as if it were nothing, perhaps he contended with it himself, already. 

Darrius takes the hand of the nurse, lured away by the promise of ice cream in the cafeteria. The poor boy hadn't left our side, along with his brother, he had been taking turns sleeping in our beds where ever he could fit between the tubes and wires. Daily exploration around the small private building was the only source of entertainment he got though Jan did her best to try and work with him on school-type things.

 He was nearing four, it was something to think about. 

"Verando is not awake yet. Though you're welcome to see him."

In other words, maybe it might snap him out of whatever it is he was going through inside. He hadn't so much as moved since they hospitalized him. I clutch my IV pole instinctively as I make my way down the hall, in a light pair of soft pants and a scrub-like shirt, they took into consideration how vulnerable I felt showing my body. 

I see the names on the doors as I pass.

Tiberius. 

Echo.

Finally, I reach his, and my hand hovers over the handle. "Is the IV really necessary? I feel fine." My voice sounded alien, had many times could my throat be crushed before I would no longer sound the same?

Adriam checks the bag with a frown, "We're unpracticed in what a lycan body requires to stay healthy, there are so few of us. In the few hours you've been awake, you seem to be gaining stamina, such is the spell that created us. I'd like you to stay hooked up, if you need medicine, this is the fastest way to get it to you. Besides, I've scheduled you for more testing this afternoon."

Opening the door for me, he directs me inside. "Take your time. I've got rounds to make, Victor is playing with Xaiver in the snow if you're worried about him."

Snow?

I drift my attention to the white outside the window, a small dusting, hardly snow. But it would be plenty for a barely two-year-old boy to frolic in. Nodding, I close the door behind me and move to sit in the chair beside the bed, still warm, I inhale slowly and smirk when I realize Tomas had just been here. He must have heard me coming. 

Placing my hands in my lap, I take him in, there was no need to be intubated as he was breathing fine on his own though he was hooked up to various monitors and tubes. The steady beep was almost distracting, I reach up to turn the volume down on the machine with a sigh. Tomas had left the TV on, a funny sitcom about a married couple, it would be something I could see the Irish man enjoying. 

"It's weird, being on this side of things," I tell him softly, clearing my throat, and testing my voice. I almost feel awkward in front of him, "Not often am I the one waiting for you to come around." Though it had been happening more and more. We'd known for a long time my warlord was on the end of his rope, turning him into the vessel of Fenrir was the last thing I'd imagined we'd end up with. 

"I just woke up today, I didn't think I'd be first, but I guess I already said that." Leaned back into my chair, I fiddle with the pull string on my pants. 

The stillness of the room nearly makes me crack a smile, so much silence beyond the murmur of the TV and the beeping of the machine, a peaceful ticking of a clock in the background. It suited him, a quiet sanctuary of monotonous noise that tuned itself out. "I'm fine, if that's what you're waiting for. I didn't lose my leg, my collarbone has a plate in it but Tomas says that's quite cool."