Chapter 14

Drifting towards the back of the building I feel as if we always end up in these sort of places, or at least I seemed to. Helen informs me that these sorts of clubs are popular in the less regulated areas as people needed a way to let of steam, I suppose if we were looking for a drug dealer this might be the best place to look. The depths of depravity seemed to be a lonely life for most individuals, I didn't pretend that there wasn't a time I might belong here as well. 

 Perhaps the advice on finding the tavern was a more difficult method of coming straight to the source. Eyeing the passing trays of drinks, I'm only reminded of the fact I have my own issues with temptations. Running a hand through my hair, it's enough to take the edge off of my tension and focus inwardly on not allowing myself to succumb to the allure of sin. 

I fuss with my shirt, attempting to close it after having the top buttons popped. "Do they pay for shirt repairs?" I grumble, receiving a questioning look from Kestrel who seems to wonder why I was still speaking. It amused me slightly, my husband had been asking that same question for quite a few years and hadn't found the answer either. I was a prince, my silence hadn't been commanded much in my formative years.

The sickly smell of death wafts into my nose and I do my best not to gag, not wanting to risk warning my companions of what was lurking around us. Not even one hundred feet into this place and the smell was almost overwhelming, I flick my gaze around and I begin to see what the clerk was talking about. It wasn't the wraiths that smelt so horrid but the people, wraiths in their own rights given their various states of decay.

In the depths of the shadows, sunken in eyes stared into healthy, gyrating bodies as if hoping to drink in the youth. Beverages that looked questionable passed dry, cracked lips as these corpses watched almost in a daze, too malnourished to participate beyond observation. Yet, the people leaving seemed in perfect health. 

I wish to hang back, to observe, but Kestrel pushes me on towards the rear room. My hand slips up, fingers slowly circling around my throat as I wonder if that was my future now that I'd been exposed. Would I, too, fall into this cycle if I continued to chase my vices and indulge in my desires?

Beyond dangling glass beads formed to look like curtains in a rain shower, we pass into a rear room with a woman sitting on a throne. Her legs crossed dawning thigh-high black patent leather and her chest was compressed by a corset in similar shimmery material. The gloved hand rested casually on a remote as she flicked through the news, the odd colored eyes never drifting as she almost seemed displeased that we were here, given the slight wrinkle of her fine, thin nose. 

The heavily made up face was painted into abstract perfection with sweeping eyelashes and large swaths of glitter dabbled with various shades of red. Tapping her foot, clad in heels beyond my comprehension, she finally addresses us with an eye roll when we all pile into the room. "Echo. I told you to get lost. I'll do no business with your kind."

"I need information." Echo responds shortly, wearing the same expression of disgust. Leadership came in many roles, in my youth I'd often thought that 'Alpha' got what he wanted due to his harsh nature. But seeing Echo's attempts at commanding space, there surely was more to it than simple tone. 

"Of course you do. Because all you mythical's do is take and expect us normies to hand it over because... what.. you'll kill us?" Her voice is deep, low, rolling in a drawn tone of false seduction. "Please, I've got my own guard dogs for the likes of you. Come back with some sort of offer that interests me or don't come back at all. Either way, get out."

Echo flashes her teeth and Kestrel clears his throat to interrupt the boiling female. "We've got someone that might interest you." Shoving me forward, I raise an eyebrow at him in disbelief.  Was the plan to offer me? Surely my open reputation would insist I was more trouble than I was worth. People had a horrible way of dying when they got too close to me. "The Good King. He can help track the wraiths that are slumming up your business."