Chapter 8

Our home is not exactly what I would have picked, given that I had grown up in a castle. I couldn't say that I didn't appreciate awe-inspiring landscapes and large expanses of rooms. I had put my input towards a larger home, in an active community, with multiple stories with space for entertaining.

But, what we settled on unfortunately catered to the trauma we had endured that Verando struggled to escape from. The home was more secluded, towards the edge of town backed up to the vastness of slowly encroaching grasslands and new development. We had settled on two stories with emergency drop-down ladders should our house be subject to another fire. 

It was quaint, a nice house with plenty of modern conveniences, but it was the way it was chosen that irritated me. 

Stepping in and closing the door behind me, the gentle chime reminds me to lock it and I roll my eyes in my buzzed state. I slip off my shoes, placing them haphazardly beside the organized shoe tree as my refusal to participate in the dictatorship. 

We had to be separated from society, it was the best chance for Darius to live a normal childhood without attracting attention while keeping us safe from an ambush. I'd give him that, with the ample security system, I didn't often worry much for our safety. Given the unique shingled roof and the more turn-of-the-century style nooks, cameras easily hid in various corners out of sight and out of mind. 

Immediately in front of the door, the staircase ascends into the vaulted ceiling where we had ripped out the majority of the upstairs to allow easy access to the downstairs. Much of the walls in the home had been removed or designed in a more forgiving manner, all pointed towards easy escape and vigilance. 

Corner mirrors are incorporated into the design, decorative to the untrained eye, and lethal to a predator hunting whatever decided to sneak into our home. 

The only private room was my upstairs study, for I had forbidden him from turning it into a watchtower. While I often found him in there, basking when the children were asleep, he had complied to not dismantle my chaotic organization. 

I ran my fingers through my hair, scenting the air, and discovering that he wasn't alone. The air is filled with the aroma of a marinara sauce and heavy with seasonings. While I'd just eaten, my body rumbled to life at the thought of dinner and the possibility of more wine. 

Stepping around the corner, I see Darius playing with Silvia, a simple game of chase around the open living room and carefully constructed floor plan. 

With the slight drop and two stairs to reach the lower area coupled with the raised kitchen, there were plenty of obstacles for the children to race around in a giggling tornado. I glance out the large glass doors onto the back porch and see that more remodeling is taking place to enclose the covered area. 

Verando didn't get many days off, it shouldn't surprise me that he spent this one perfecting his fortress. 

Legardo glances up from the cooking and I spy Xavier on his hip as he tastes the sauce for what looks like some sort of lasagna. "Were you drafted into cooking dinner? I could have cooked." I hold out my hands for the squirming little boy and smile as Xavier climbs into my arms. The warm cheek rests against the crook of my neck, thumb in his mouth as he clings. "If I had known you were coming, I would have come home sooner."

Legardo shrugs one shoulder. "Pascal's meeting ran over and Silvia was lonely. Wait until they turn into teenagers, Briley pretty much kicked us out." He rolls his eyes with a heavy sigh.

The thought of the meeting brings a frown to my face and I try not to let it affect me as I lean my cheek against the boy's head, swaying slowly as I contemplate a diplomatic answer. "Have they found the shipment of suppressants?"