Chapter 122

Pulling into the compound, Verando slides the car into a space along the wrought iron fence. I glance around at the large expanse, not like our soon-to-be farm but more so a cleared space of various activities from jungle gyms to something resembling a fort built out of wood and different plastic fixtures. 

Wide-eyed, I take it all in with excitement, envisioning how much the boys would enjoy playing on such things. "Randy, we should have brought our children..." I nearly whimpered, deflated, and excited all in one. "Darrius would lose his mind over that." Admiring the large structure, I realize I'm pulling us as I guide him over to run my fingers along the steps leading up to a large enclosed piece on top. 

With slides, ladders, different ropes, and bars going in all directions, it was a fortress more than anything. 

I pull out my phone, taking a quick picture. 

We'd never had anything like this growing up, our lives were so structured, playing in something like this would have been forbidden for me. Without thinking, I quickly climb up onto the top level to lean out over the railing. 

Verando's odd expression was the only thing giving me pause, it would appear as though I was embarrassing him to some extent, though he did flash me my favorite look as he waits at the foot of the ladder. "Not coming up?" I tease, enjoying the view. 

A child could really get lost up here, a wonderland looking out over the play sets, the small shallow pond, and copious amounts of large toys in the well-manicured grass. I could see that they also had a pool, though it was more so a side piece to the entertainment of the blooming party. 

So much different than what we normally attended, with balloons, and children running and playing. I'd never been to a kid's party, not like this, nor had I ever had one. 

"I wouldn't fit. This is for children." Verando retorts dryly, making me sneer, though I did see that there was little chance of his shoulders going past the entrance without an undignified amount of wriggling. He would also be unable to stand up inside the structure, I could do so without too much effort. 

I feel a tug on my pant leg, looking to see a smaller child around six or seven. "Is it your turn?" She asks, pointing to the slide. 

Was it? 

Unashamed, I simply cast myself down the slide in a delightful half-second of descension. Verando offers me his hand, I graciously accept as I spring out of the way of the child following quickly after me. 

She giggles, dusting off her party dress. "You're good at that!" She chimes, before trotting off to repeat the action while I try not to explode into confetti at the delight I was feeling. 

Brushing my hair from my eyes, Verando catches my chin with his index finger. "Enjoying yourself? You know, I can leave you here to play while I go and do my job." 

I'd bite him if we weren't surrounded by children. "Leave me alone, you buzz kill. I'm in awe, I never had anything like this."

Glancing around, he considers that for a moment, "Mm... me either. Though it feels like such a.. waste.. Surely children don't care about things such as this? Though by the look on your face, I can see you're already plotting one of these gaudy displays for our own children."

I couldn't hide it from him, I was in love with the idea. The light music, the table of presents, colorful cakes and candies, and the pure joy surrounding the event. It was so... human. 

Exhaling, I nuzzle into his palm to kiss the smooth skin there. "It's fun," I assure him. "I think it's worth the expense."

"I think it's a display of wealth, must not be all that fun for the ones not invited." He raises an eyebrow, brushing his thumb against my cheek and pulling his lips into a thin line. "We were raised very differently." It seems to be a reminder to himself as it was for me. "Would you have invited a poor, peasant boy to a party like this?" He questions, offering me his hand as we walk towards the large house.