Chapter 116

Verando pulled outside the country club, I had migrated as close to him as possible, head leaning on his bicep as I attempted to pretend I was still asleep. Hoping maybe he'd take pity on me, but there was no such luck as he kisses the top of my head. "You smell so good." I sigh, holding onto his arm a little tighter. 

"You're actually losing some of your scent, I think you're coming to the end of this madness."  Brushing his nose against my hair, I can feel him smile as I glance up at him. Taking my chin with his index finger, he presses his lips to mine and I melt against him. "Tomas and Rowan are on their way to offer a bit of extra protection. They're going to pick you up and bring you to the concert tonight, unless you'd rather-"

I kiss him again, until I'm breathless. "Not a chance. I'll see you tonight."  

Smirking, he nuzzles his nose against mine. "Perhaps a bit sooner. You think I'm a dictator, Tiberius can be quite the drill sergeant when it comes to practicing. I can only take so much of him."

I'd offer him entertainment if I wasn't so exhausted. Seeing Cleo on the porch of the club, I exhale heavily and Verando kisses my cheek with a chuckle. "Take me with you?" I mumble as he leans across my lap to open the door for me. 

"Not a chance. Go mingle." 

Leaving the car behind, I hesitate to glance back once I reach the porch to see him waiting for me to get inside. Cleo takes my arm, a bit too close for my comfort but she seemed like she'd already had a drink. "Finally. Lord have mercy, you sure do dilly-dally. That man of yours sure is handsome when he wants to be."

Smirking, I follow her inside, knowing with his hearing he was probably well aware that she found him attractive. At least from a distance. Most people did, to some extent, but I was also well aware of the fact that many found him terrifying with the scars and the unimpressed expression. 

"Did you enjoy the entertainment last night?" I prompt as we sit on the back patio, declining a drink from the waiter as she refreshes her mimosa. 

"Oh, it was wonderful. Interesting how a band can be so versatile, there's a lot of talking surrounding them... some hate.. but hell, honey, who doesn't have haters?"

Haters, hmm?

"Why because he's gay?" I snort, folding one leg over the other, it was a nice day out. I enjoyed the scent of the trees in bloom, though the pollen was much heavier here than it was in Europe. Leaning back into the rocking chair, it's all too tempting to curl up and go to sleep here. 

Cleo giggles, sipping her drink, gesturing to me as the waiter pours me one, too. Placing a plate of various pastries between us, the man leaves and I snag a muffin. "No, nobody hardly cares about that anymore. I mean, you'll always have the occasional bible thumper... but it's because they're a lycan and a siren. Ya ain't human, honey. April is a good addition though, bring her around more."

Business is not what I thought we'd be discussing when Cleo invited me out. I consider seeing her with Foreman, how she did plenty more talking than him. 

Taking a paper from her purse, she hands it over to me, taking another sip of her drink as I look it over. An old fashion newspaper, we didn't even have them in Europe anymore. Yet, as I look this over, I note that it's not printed as a form of casual local news. It had various headlines, and pictures and my eyes kept picking up on small details that looked or sounded off. 

"Is this in code?"

She smirks slightly. "Depends on who's reading it, honey." Her lashes heavy, and she glances down toward a particular headline with a casual tip of her nose. "More riots break out every time y'all have a concert. Gonna be a hard sell to get investors with a reputation like that. But-" She flips the page. "Last night there was a rally in favor of magic users. We have hardly seen something like that since y'all first came to New York."