Chapter 103

Even in my heightened state, wanting to get to Verando, I could tell there was a shift. A part of him that didn't belong there, the size of the wolf was larger than I'd ever seen Alpha, it was one of the things I first noticed about him in the ranking battles when compared to the other wolves. 

Verando had never been the largest, he was built more for speed yet the shoulder hindering him had forced him to adapt. Alpha was slimmer in build, a more plush coat, once Tonic had discussed with me that wolves were more adapted to 'regions', and Verando's coat would indicate he was a more 'tundra' type. Yet, the substance he held never supported that until now. 

Bulkier, more muscled, heavier, the black covered half of his face as if paint had been thrown into his pelt. The black eyes dabbed with icy blue pupils, focused on Tyr. 

"Finally found yourself a vessel. These fools were so focused on Kestrel, Caspian... when the truth of a third option was right in their faces. Greed and Hate. The one who hates makes an interesting host with those other pieces of Whitewind in there." Allowing the staff to stay planted in the ground, he wields his sword, adjusting his stance as the wolf growls low in his chest. 

"Can't even talk. It's impressive that a mortal could hold back the end of the world by will alone." Tilting his head, he takes slow careful steps as he attempts to circle the lycan, only to be met with the pointed stamp of the clenched paws. The god would not be allowed to pass, a simple bark showed his intention, Tyr scoffs at the response. 

The black inky substances leaks and drips from the slices in his throat by the strigoi chain, staining the snow beneath him.  I push past Tiberius but acknowledge that the last time I was near Fenrir he tried to kill me. If I was wrong... I don't think I'd survive a second thrashing, the truth was that none of us would. 

I can't get to him before the god makes a move, sailing across the snow in a billow of fresh pack. The wolf meets him head-on, the sword hits flesh and yet it's as if it had been met with iron. A clang off his shoulder blade as the long fangs nearly sink into the man's leg. Tyr kicks him away, the impact sending him slamming into the snow with an explosion of earth and material. 

"Are you satisfied?" He shouts over his shoulder, scowling as the wolf appears out of the crater, jumping ontop of him only for him to kick the beast into the air. I'm impressed by the fighting style, how long had it been since I'd really seen my husband in action? The way he controls himself through the air, using the impact to right his body and catch the ground on the landing. Tyr meets him, head on with the sword, Tiberius must feel some sort of loyalty to me for he's standing right at my side with the most horrified look on his face. 

To him, it would be the end of days, to me, it was watching someone attempt to murder the man I love. 

"Drop your weapon and he will stop!" I shout. 

"More lies. More false hope. You mortals can not open your eyes to what is in front of you. A Demon. A god created to end this plain, are you truly so selfish?" Tyr shouts over the snarl of the wolf as he smacks him across the muzzle with the butt of the sword. Verando paws at his nose, kicking out with his hind leg to send the man sailing across the street. 

Panting, blood seeping from between his teeth, I freeze as the black gaze rolls to lock on me and the Siren. 

"Tiberius get out of here," I demand the man beside me. 

"He will devour you, Nic. If we stick together we might be able to at least lure him away." The fear, the undeniable fear. Could I truly blame them for acting against us when they seemed to believe we were willing to let this creature loose? Nobody knew Verando as I did, nobody had seen the force of nature that was Alpha as I had.