Chapter 142

It was better not to open the book here; with so many people, it was a beacon for trouble. We were being hunted down by any god who wished to capture a newly formed Death; it was only fitting to assume those people were waiting for an opportunity to find us. Without knowing what opening his book would do, finding a secluded place would take priority over eating this morning.

Finding that in a rural area should be easy, yet we seemed to attract an audience wherever we went. Back in the car again, I'm trying not to let on that I'm disappointed in the lack of breakfast. I was looking forward to the meal, though I attempted to remind myself that we'd gone days without eating before on our military ventures. My nausea would be displeased with the idea of more car travel on a relatively empty stomach.

Verando murmurs on his phone, his voice tight as he tells Tomas we will move to a different location for the exchange. Anubis's warning could no longer go on deaf ears, and I wasn't willing to go home until I'd helped him all I could. That would mean appeasing me, and it seemed that Tomas understood my husband was at my mercy when it came to his departure. 

I couldn't help but appreciate that about him.

"Where are we going?" I finally attempt when he hangs up, sensing the mounting anxiety, yet I've never felt so disconnected from him. There was no heat, no inferno raging under the surface, and his heart no longer galloped for my ears to hear; it was almost disturbing how still he was.

 Our lives were no longer threaded together; it was an odd sensation, almost like they'd taken a limb rather than separated two complete beings.

"A nightclub, unfortunately. It should be quiet mid-day; Tucci told me about a few clubs that a friend of his owns. Higher-ups rent out rooms here for entertainment, but there's also a service that provides food and meeting spaces so that you can eat while I attempt to sort through this-" Gritting his teeth, I see the disdain for our situation. 

The steering wheel shivers under his hand, and the car jerks, threatening to stall.

"For the love- what now?" Verando snaps; I quickly grab his wrist and yank it away from the steering wheel, gauging the response of his skin under my hand. I could feel the veil of magic, yet it wasn't attempting to latch on to me or take from my presence. 

Was that because I was an exception? Or because he had to have intention behind what he was doing?

The death of Eve proved that false; he could kill things accidentally. So why not me?

Meanwhile, the lapse in control caused the car a small amount of panic, as it swerved from side to side before he caught the wheel with his knee. Once steady, the jerking of the engine stopped.

Verando smacks my hand away instinctively, only to look apologetic and then horrified by his reaction. I noticed the red rash from where he'd touched me, but only where his hand had grazed, not where my palm had landed. Examining it, I twist my hand curiously, healing faster than I could imagine the mark in its original state.

"Damn it-" Swerving across traffic, we pull over in a small parking lot, and he gets out of the car abruptly, slamming the door hard enough that the entirety of the vehicle trembles. I wonder if the door would ever work the same again, and yet I'm out of the car faster than I can think. While I was sure he wouldn't try and run, the 'rules' of this ability were inconsistent so far.

What if his feet on the ground caused the entire neighborhood to die? What if he vanished without meaning to?

"Randy-"

"Nic, please just stay over there." His voice is stern, and his body fights to react as it is accustomed. But how could fire burn when it was shielded in ice? I can't help but sigh in relief, my wolf responds to the call of his own. Alpha was still in there, and for that, I was grateful.  "I'm.. not in control."