Chapter 12

Ellie's pov
It was currently 3am, we were staying at the Pate's so I was in Lilah's bed, like I am when I sleep. I shot awake after a nightmare. A nightmare I haven't had in a long time. I begin to panic but I don't want to wake Lilah up. I've already taken up half her bed, I don't want to wake her up too. I lay there for a few more minutes, trying to calm myself but nothing succeeded. I decided that the best option was to go find Madelyn and Chase. I didn't want to wake them up either but Mads did tell me before I went to bed that if i needed either of them to wake them up and they won't be mad.

I tiptoe out of Lilah's bedroom and walk down the stairs to the spare bedroom, where Chase and Maddie were staying. I push the door open, gently. "Maddie? Chase?" I whisper, trying to wake them up. Madelyn immediately opens her eyes, "is everything okay?" She asks me and I shake my head. She immediately gets out of bed and gives me a hug. I can't help but silently break down. I feel stupid for crying over a nightmare but I couldn't help it. "Shh, you're safe Els. I promise" Madelyn whispers. "Mads, is that you?" Chase says, half asleep. "Yeah I've got Els" she says and my brother immediately looks at me and stands up and puts the light on. Madelyn walks me over to their bed and I sit next to her, resting my head on her shoulder.

"Do you wanna talk about it" Chase asks. I sigh, it sometimes makes me feel better to get it off my chest so I nod. "It was a nightmare. From one of the times he done it the worst. He was so wasted, drunk and horrible. This one night, he came home..." I begin to say but stopped. "Take your time, we are listening" he says. "I don't know if you know this Chase but I'm just going to tell you. One night, he came home and was drunk. He wasn't alone. He had a woman with him, he was kissing her and everything. I asked him who she was and why he was with her. He didn't tell me but instead he kicked, hit and punched me hard. He told me how that woman was better than mom ever was and that she was the reason I had problems" I say, crying.

There was silence. "He... he brought another woman and said she was better than mom?" He questions and I nod. I see him look upset, as though he was about to cry.

After all sitting together for a little while longer, I start to get tired again, "I'll head back to Lilah" I say. "Are you sure? You can stay here if you want?" Mads asks me. "It's alright, I'll be fine. Thank you though. Good night. I love you both" i tell them, "if you have another nightmare just come back if you want" Chase says, I nod and head back to Lilah's room.

Chases pov
As soon as Ellie left, I let it all out. Anger, sadness, all of it. My mom was the most important person in my life growing up, she was perfect. She was there for her kids, no matter what. She would spend hours playing basketball with me, even if she didn't enjoy it. She was the best and she loved my dad so much. For him to say that, it made me so angry and upset. I sigh and turn my back against Mads, I don't want her to see me cry. "Chase, babe? I know you're crying and trying to find a way to hide it from me. You don't have to. Let it all out babe, come here" she says and opens her arms. I lie with my head on her chest and she strokes my hair.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" she asks me and I hesitate but nod. "She was fucking perfect, the best Mom imaginable. For him to say that about her, it hurts. I dunno but I just feel so angry at him and how she deserved better" I say and continue talking to Maddie.

"I love you so much Mads, I would be lost without you" I say. "I love you a lot too" she says and I drift off to sleep.

The next morning, I woke up and Maddie was no longer in bed. I get out of bed and go try find her, she was sat watching TV with Cooper, Lilah and Ellie. I went and sat next to her, I give her a kiss. "Good morning, how you doing now?" She whispers to me, "I'm better. How's E?" I ask Mads since Ellie was on the opposite side to us. "She's fine, I think. Do you wanna do something today... keep us busy?" She asks and I nod.

"Turn the news channel on, apparently there's been a big incident right next to where the set trailers are in downtown Charleston" Jonas says, looking confused but Cooper changes the channel to the local news.

"Somebody has tried to sabotage the OBX Netflix series trailers. The trailer appears to be 'John B's' as it says on the door. The person tried driving full speed into the trailer but left himself in a life threatening state. We have no contact details for this man, he seems to be a white 6ft male with brown hair. He was wearing black jeans and a brown jumper. If anybody had info please contact the police" the news reported says. I look towards my sister who was scrambling through her phone.

"Who the fuck would want to do that" Jonas says, pissed. "I think I know who" Ellie says quietly and shows me her phone. It was the photo she took of our dad the day before, wearing exactly what was said on the news. "Of course, it fucking is. Can that son of a bitch not leave us alone for once in our goddamn life" I say, getting extremely angry. "Chase, calm down" Madelyn tries to say and reaches her hand out to mine but I move away.

"No Madelyn, i won't. He abused my little sister for 3 years, cheated and spoke bad about my mom, alive and dead. Tried to basically kill me if I was in that trailer. All he's done is give us a shitty life!!" I shout and storm out. I couldn't be with them, not right now. I knew not to get angry around Ellie so I walked out and just sat outside.

Jonas's pov
I can't believe what's happening. I don't blame Chase for getting annoying. After he stormed out, Madelyn went running after him. Ellie just seemed to be in shock. I sat next to her and just give her a hug, she was like my second daughter to be honest.

After about 10 minutes, the two retuned and sat down. "We have an update. It's been made away the suspect is Steve Stokes and he has been pronounced dead" the news reporter says. My heart sinks for the siblings. I understand that they weren't on good terms with their father but loosing him was a different story.

Chases pov
I can't believe it. He died trying to get to us. He tried to injure us. I didn't know what to feel. I was sad but also annoyed. I look towards my little sister. She looked in shock. Nobody spoken a word since it was announced on the TV. "Els?" I say, she looks and me and breaks down. I bring her into my embrace and just keep her there.

Jonas, Cooper, Jen and Lilah left the room to gave us some space but Mads stayed. Ellie buries her head into my chest. I also was crying. Although he was horrible, he did bring us up. I felt anger but I also was a little bit upset. Mads comes round the other side of me and wraps her arm around us both. We stayed like this for 10 minutes.

"I am upset but I don't know. I'm not really sad but I feel like I should be" she tells me. "Look Ellie, he's put you through so much. You have every right to not be sad. It's just your feelings. I know he didn't use to be like this but I don't know what happened. It's completely up to you if you want to attend his funeral or whatever" I tell my little sister. In all honesty, I didn't really want to. He's made her so worried and bad about everything.

She shakes her head, "Will you be mad if I say I don't want to go?" She asks. "Of course not, I don't really want to go either" I tell her and she nods her head.

That day was just a quiet day. The sad thing was that we had no other family, except the two of us but we know she's safe, forever.