Chapter Twenty-Five: Setting A Trap

After Als' suggestion had been fully digested the group had spent an hour going over the pros and cons. 

"Aren't we getting ahead of ourselves?" Kevin finally asked.
"What do you mean?" Adam asked with a raised brow.
"We haven't worked out how to word the article yet."
"I've asked Flynn to come in tomorrow morning," Murphy had appraised the other men on the Reporter they were going to use, "he'll advise us "
"This is probably out of his league," Mouse noted cautiously, he was struggling to hide his concern and abide by his friends' wishes.
"Parker has a draft article ready with Jays' input," Voight explained, "Flynn has agreed to work within the parameters we set.  He's well aware of what's at stake."
"So back to the safehouse," Murphy prompted, "will Lyle believe he can gain access there?"
"He seems quite adept at getting access," Antonio commented, "but who will be in the house?"
"Me," Jay quickly informed his friend, that was non negotiable as far as he was concerned.
"Halstead this isn't ......," Voight began.
"Sarge unless Lyle actually has sight of me he won't approach the house.  He's not going to make an amateur mistake."
"Well someone has to be in the house with you," Adam insisted, "no way are you facing him alone."
"What he said," Kevin concurred with a nod.
"He'll get spooked if he sees anyone else," Jay argued.
"You just reminded us he isn't an amateur.  He'd definitely sense a trap if you were alone," Kevin put in, unrepentantly using his friends' own argument against him.
"It's not up for discussion Halstead," Voight effectively ended the conversation.
"So how do we play this?" Antonio asked the group in general.
"Al will be in the house," Voight decided, grateful Murphy was letting him call the shots, "Ruzek and myself will be in the garage monitoring everything."
"With me," Mouse hastily added.
"No," the Sergeant shook his head, "you can set everything up and record remotely."
"But ...,"
"Greg?" Jay eyed his old friend.
"What?" Mouse hated when his former Lieutenant used his first name, it usually meant he wasn't going to like what was coming next.
"I don't want to be worrying about you. I'm going to have enough trouble worrying over myself."
"Yeah right!" Mouse scoffed in disbelief.
"Greg?"
"Damn," Mouse surrendered reluctantly, "but if you get hurt I'll kill you!"
"Seems fair," Jay winked in relief.
"Well now that's been settled," Voight stated wrily, "let's figure out a viable plan if Lyle takes the bait."

                     -----------------------

The following morning found the men getting acquainted with Arthur Flynn in the Conference Room.  At fifty-eight the six foot tall, well built man exuded an air of confidence which was offset by his somewhat shabby appearance.  It soon became clear that while the grey haired man cared little for appearances he was fully focused on his work.  With over thirty-eight years of experience the Freelance Journalist had long ago lost the ability to be shocked by mans' inhumanity so once Murphy had gone over the full details of the case, on the prerequisite proviso everything was off the record, his first question was not about the Kings but about Jay.

"Why is he targeting you Detective?"
"I've already explained ......," the Assistant Director tried to deter the Journalist.
"I want to hear from Detective Halstead."
"Listen Flynn ....," this time it was Voights' turn to intervene.
"Sarge it's okay.  Man has a right to ask questions," Jay put in softly, "it is his job after all."
"So?' Flynn eyed the younger man across from him, seeing the bruised eyes which spoke of the physical toll he was paying.
"I don't know," Jay replied honestly as he picked at a loose thread on his bandaged hand distractedly, "I've ... spoken to him in person a couple of times but I never met him before this case."
"Yet he's clearly obsessed with you," Flynn refrained from correcting the Detectives' version as he obviously did not want to talk about his time in captivity and the torture he endured.
"For reasons I am unaware of," Jay shrugged.
"Do ye think the article will spur King into making a mistake?" Flynn turned his attention to the room in general.
"That's the goal," Murphy nodded from the top end of the table, "do you think you can get it published?"
"Thought you were going to approach someone," Parker recalled in confusion before the Journalist could respond.
"Flynn figured it would be safer if he got the piece published in the usual manner."
"This way only I'll know the full background," Flynn elaborated, "probably safer that way."
"Don't you trust anyone in the business?" Adam had the question out before he realized how blunt it sounded.
"Sure I do," Flynn smiled to show he was unoffended, "but questions are part and parcel of my line of work. Sometimes peoples' natural inquisitiveness outweighs their common sense and good intentions.".
"So you have someone in mind to contact?" Al prodded.
"James Anderson at the New York Chronicle is reliable."
"He doesn't need to be reliable if you're not telling him the full background does he?" Antonio stated.
"Actually he does," the Journalist explained candidly, "if he says he'll print an article he'll do it.  I've lost count of the amount of times I had a piece accepted for publication only to be informed down the line it would not be printed."
"Guess you hate office politics as much as we do," Murphy concluded.
"You better believe it," the Freelancer acknowledged without hesitation, "I mistakenly thought going freelance would save me from most of that but sadly I was mistaken."
"How soon can you get your story in the paper?" Voight wanted a timeframe they could work around.
"If I can finalise it by tomorrow should be able to make it in print by next Monday or Tuesday.  I won't have a definite date until I speak to Anderson."
"Well we'll leave Parker and Halstead here to go over the article with you," Murphy declared as he rose to his feet decisively.
"I'm staying," Voight remained seated as the other men stood up.
"Be surprised if you didn't," the Assistant Director admitted as he led the way out.