Chapter Twenty-Six: Waiting Game

Safehouse

The following morning found Jay and Al sharing a morning coffee in the kitchen, to all intents and purposes a casual routine.  Since the New York Chronicle hit the streets on Monday everyone had been on full alert but as yet Lyle, or his brother, had not made a move.  As they had been doing since Tuesday everyone had left the Harper Road residence, supposedly going to work, with the exception of Jay and Al.  Each morning Voight and Adam had doubled back and re-entered the property through an adjoining garden while the others went to Headquarters and then returned to Huntingdon after about an hour.  They had reasoned anyone watching for an hour would be satisfied they were remaining at work.  Murphy, Parker and several other Agents also travelled to Huntington each morning.  Their vigilence however had not yet yielded any results.  The nagging doubts about the plan were gradually gnawing away at the Units' nerves but remained unvoiced.  There had been no guarantee the trap would entice Lyle or Philip and as the weekend loomed Jay considered the possibilities as he sighed heavily.

"We knew it might not work," Al noted intuitively as he finished off his last slice of heavily buttered toast with a gulp of hot coffee and eyed the younger man.
"Yep," Jay concurred rising to rinse out his empty mug.
"You going to eat that?" Al gestured to the sole cheese bagel on his friends' plate.
"All yours," Jay shook his head, after Adam the older man was the next big eater.
"Good.  So you still think he'll show?"
"My gut says yes," Jay responded as a movement outside caught his attention, "he's here."
"Damn!" Al cursed but remained where he was and took a bite of the breakfast treat.
"Voight we got action," Jay reported into his hidden mic as he turned his back to the window and casually leaned back against the counter facing his companion, "I'm going out ....,"
"That's not the plan," Al and Voight reminded in unision.
"Plans change," Jay stretched his arms casually and ambled towards the back door, "this should keep him away from ye.  Just get a record of whatever happens."
"Kid!" Al hissed but found himself talking to himself as the door closed behind the young man.

"Al stay put," Voight firmly instructed from his vantage point in the garage as Adam sent off messages to the others who were only streets away.
"Hank this is too risky."
"Halstead knows what he's doing."
"Did you know he was planning this?" Al was cursing himself, he should have anticipated this move by his friend.
"No but we let it play out."
"Sarge the others are on the way.  They'll wait for our signal before coming in," Adam confirmed, his eyes glued to the monitors showing his friend apparently taking a leisurely stroll in the flower bedecked garden with a protective hand up to his injured ribs.
"Good.  You have eyes on Lyle or Philip?"
"Not yet."
"Damn," Voight keyed his mic, "Halstead is it one or both?"
"One," Adam stated unnecessarily as they watched the young Detective rub his forehead once in the pre arranged signal.
"If you need to pull back do," Voight instructed although he knew it would never happen, his subordinate was too much of a professional to consider backing away from danger.

Jay heard the Sergeants' words and struggled not to roll his eyes. As if he was going to let this opportunity go!  The figure he had identified standing motionless behind an old sprawling magnolia tree was definitely one of the Kings but he couldn't tell which one.  Coming parallel with the shadow he stopped momentarily and checked his watch.  He knew he had to give the man a chance to catch him unaware.  The rib injuries had been reported in the article to instill the belief he would be easily overcome.  Although they were still healing Jay felt confident he could hold his own in a fight.  He doubted however that Voight or the others would remain on the sidelines for long if a physical altercation took place.

                        ---------------------

On Magnolia Road, a parallel residential thoroughfare in the leafy suburb, Antonio, Kevin and Burke had been discussing the likelihood of the Kings making a move at this late stage in the week when Adam had informed them of the new development.