A Bud of Hope Wrapped in Despair

Four Jounin speed through the dense forest so fast that the leaves on the trees and the grass moved literal seconds after they had raced by.

They could all tell that the battle had started a while ago and that multiple battles had happened. Kakashi, Guy, and Izumi specifically knew because they knew some of the chakra signatures present like the back of their own hands. Guy could sense all three of his students and Kakashi sensed all of his.

But the one that troubled him was Sasuke's. It wasn't faded like Naruto and Sakura had, he assumed they had been knocked out, but it was fading away because he was leaving. He was getting further and further away from them and when Kakashi realized it, Guy could barely keep up with him.

Izumi shared Kakashi's haste but the worry in her mind kept her from saying anything about it. They had sent the future of the Hidden Leaf on what was essentially an A-Rank mission and only one of them were Chunin. And he wasn't the strongest.

Anko had definitely been the calmest one but not even she could speak seeing the mood her teammates were in. She knew, she could feel that something happened. Something wasn't right in the air and the darkening sky didn't help at all.

"Not all of them are at the same place. I can sense Obito and Rin I'll meet up with them. Izumi go to Naruto's chakra. I know you can feel the Nine-Tails in the air. Anko you go to where they're the most chakra signatures and Guy meet up with your student. We'll rendezvous later to compare out findings." Kakashi ordered after a long amount of time of no one speaking. He was captain and even if they felt some type of way, they knew he wasn't in the mood to go back and forth and immediately split off from him.

Now that he was finally alone, Kakashi couldn't help the despair creeping into his heart. The Copy Ninja could feel something was off by the smell of the air and even though he knew something was wrong with Naruto his instincts screamed at him to meet up with Rin and Obito. Because even though he could feel something had happened to Naruto he felt a dark cloud brewing where Obito was and could feel that something bad was about to go down.

He gulped and he began to move faster and faster through the forest. His heartbeat skyrocketed and he felt a pain in his chest that he couldn't describe.

'I-I have to make it! I... I have to!"

XxX

Obito's onyx eyes stared deep into Rin's dim brown ones for for moments neither had moved. It was like they were in a trance, stuck staring at each other and neither of them noticed.

It wasn't Obito nor Rin that finally broke their soft staring contest. It was rain. Obito came to when a droplet fell on the tip of his nose and he looked up to see dark, heavy clouds hanging overhead. He wondered, despite the dark atmosphere it brung, when the clouds started to look so beautiful.

"Obito," a soft voice near whispered and slowly he looked down until he met Rin's eyes once more.

They were no longer absent of emotion. They were filled with worry, with pain, and with sadness. He could tell that his lies were affecting her deeply and he wondered why. Was it because he didn't trust her? Maybe it was more.

"Why are you hiding things from me and Kakashi? We thought...I thought that we were closer than that." Her thoughts went back to her conversation with Kakashi on just how much Obito had changed and to find out that they were correct was something she could not take. She might've knew that the entire time but she wanted to believe that he would never do something like that.

But she knew better.

"Obito, I want you to answer me." She managed to get out, her voice breaking and cracking. Her face began to turn red and her throat felt seized.