Chapter 31 - The strange kid

Iris

         I couldn't stop staring at the strange kid  mum had brought home just a few minutes ago and now I had to prepare a room for him. My mum had insisted that we shared a room .
   Like I should really share a room with a boy! the male gender, a strange boy  ......that was never going to happen! And now I took it upon myself to prepare the guest room for him.
   I would let him stay in my room till I was sure my mum was asleep and then kick him out.
  Just the thought of us sharing a room made me want to puke.
       Even my sister's were against it...well they were certainly glad that they weren't in my position,I had begged them to volunteer their rooms for the strange kid but they refused. I never knew they hated me this much.

   The strange boy just sat there in our sitting room staring at his fingers. He hadn't even moved a muscle since he came.
   Mum was preparing dinner and she had asked my sisters and me to keep him company.
     Unfortunately my sister hated me , so they ran off leaving me to do the job.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. "Come with me,I'll show you to your room".I said.

The strange kid didn't respond but just stood up. I was surprised that he was an inch taller than me ,I eyed him a little. Mum had said we were around the same age but I couldn't believe that. I chose to believe I was older.

I headed towards the stairs and into one of our guest rooms,off course I chose the one closest to my room so that my mum wouldn't find out about my little plan or else I was doomed.

"Don't tell my mum about this okay?...you and I both know we can't share the same room so you'll have to sneak out at night ". I said and waited for him to respond but he didn't.

I ignored the fact that he just ignored me and  opened the door . " It's a little dusty but don't worry I'll clean it up ".

This time he only nodded.

"Are you okay with this ?"  I asked,his silence was irritating.

He nodded again.

I folded my hands across my chest . " Can you at least say something or do you have problems with speech ". My voice was a little louder.

He raised his head to look at me ,he stared at me without looking away for almost 30seconds and then finally looked away.
"I'm fine with it ". He said indifferently .

I scoffed,so he could talk after all. I turned around and opened the windows. At least the room should be ventilated before we started cleaning,and I wasn't going to clean alone not after his silent treatment. There was  no way on earth I'll do the cleaning on my own besides he was the one sleeping here so he should do most of the work.

"After dinner,we would tidy up the room a little and I mean the both of us ".

He only nodded .

"We can go back downstairs now". I said and walked out of the room.

    We went downstairs and met my wicked sisters watching TV ,we joined them. The atmosphere was cold and silent and I was guessing it was because of the strange kid.
      Come to think of it,I didn't even know his name and strangely I thought he looked a little like my stepmother.
         I shifted my head a little to get a better view of him. His hair was curly,he had brown eyes and he was cute and scary at the same time. He looked like a baby ,and I had also noticed that he didn't smile. He had this little frown settled on his brows and he was staring at everything like he wanted to crush it with his mind.
             In my opinion he looked like the troublesome type . I suddenly had the feeling that I wouldn't like him and we wouldn't get  along.
       Right now he was staring hard at our TV ,if it were possible the TV screen would have shattered into pieces with the way he was staring. I was still trying to decipher what was going through his mind when our eyes suddenly met.
   My heart almost jumped out of my chest.   The look he gave me was scary and I felt embarrassed for being caught staring,I coughed to hide my embarrassment but still refused to look a way. It felt like a staring contest.
   I had to admit ,he was good! He hadn't even blinked once and I had blinked like a hundred times already. I straightened my back in determination,if he didn't look away first then neither would I .