Chapter 39 - Secrets left unknown

Nora was crying beside me,I had tired to console her but she kept crying.

" No!... please don't take my daddy away!"  She made an attempt to run after the cops who dragged Cisco away but I caught her just in time.

" Mummy,Grandpa do something..don't let them take him". She cried as she nudged my chest.
   My dad did his best to ignore her and just stood there with his hands in his pocket.

My eyes were stinging but I didn't care,he deserved it. " I can't ,your daddy did something horrible so he has to pay for his crimes ".

   " But mummy,they can't take him to prison ....it's not a nice place ". Mia spoke ,she was also crying. Only iris didn't cry,but she wasn't happy either. She was just trying to hid it.

I watched as he got into the van,he threw a knowing glance at me.I couldn't read his expression because half his face was covered in blood. He looked away and bowed his head ,I thought he had fainted and almost rushed to him but stopped myself when he placed his head on the head rest.

    Something had been bothering me since the cops came to take him away, something about what he told me when I secretly went to treat his wounds in the basement. My conscience didn't let me leave him all alone in pain and in the dark.

    Two days ago when my dad returned from China ,I showed him the video and he had it checked to make sure it wasn't fabricated. They also checked the CCTV cameras at the hospital and it matched,the security there said that the footage had gone missing the very day mum died and they didn't bother looking into it since they deemed it unimportant .
     My dad was furious ,at first he refused to believe that Cisco was the one in the video. He couldn't believe that the son-in-law he trusted so much had killed his beloved wife and worse tried to dupe him. He charged Cisco for murder, larceny,and embezzlement without batting an eye. But before that,he had him beaten up just to vent his anger and without asking for my consent  to verify,he filed for a divorce on my behalf.

     My dad had tied him up in our basement and hired some thugs to beat him up . I was relieved the basement was sound proof because I couldn't imagine how my children would feel if they heard their dad screaming his lungs out in pain . I tried begging my dad to just let the police handle it but he  told me to leave if I couldn't watch,I wanted to stay and question him. I wanted to know why he did it,I wanted to know what I had done to him to deserve this but my dad didn't give me the chance to ask him.
       They kept torturing him ,I couldn't watch so I left the basement but didn't go far.I stood at the entrance,his pained voice felt like Sharp blades piercing my ears.
      When they were done ,they left him there and called the cops the next day and he was arrested. He looked calm when the police came,he didn't resist or try to defend himself even when my dad confronted him about the video. My dad had questioned him about it but he didn't admit nor did he deny it ,he just kept his mouth shut .

     I couldn't get my mind off what he told me and as for Pamela,I found it suspicious that she had disappeared since  she gave me the video.
  I returned home that day and found her room empty,all her things were gone . I was expecting her to take Levi along but as expected,she left him behind.
    I asked Mrs Harper but she said they hadn't set eyes on her ,she had vanished into thin air. Once again, Cisco's words filled my ears .

   As soon as the cops left ,I tucked Nora in bed even if the sun was still shining brightly. She had cried too much that her eyes couldn't remain open any longer.

  Iris had gone to her room,I knocked on her door but she didn't respond. She probably needed sometime to herself.

   My dad left too ,he said he was going to see mum's grave. I wanted to go with him but that would mean leaving my children all alone in the house after all that had happened.