Chapter 57: In Love

Seconds felt like hours without him.

But Amy was right. If I was there, it would never be about them, and they deserved their moment in the spotlight too. They were all so talented and I wanted the rest of the world to appreciate them just as much as I did, despite the fact that most of the press wasn't shy about using the opening acts just to get closer to me, I hoped this one would at least give them a fair shot at a flattering story.

I'd give them a few minutes before I went to listen in from the hall.

But then, there was a knock at the door, instantly letting himself in, shutting and locking it behind him. My whole body went cold when his cold eyes met mine, forcing an annoyed smile that I had experienced so many times, often leaving me to wonder what else I had possibly done wrong.

But I didn't care what he thought anymore. As far as I was concerned, we were done. It was just the fact that the only people who didn't know it was the rest of the world.

"What do you want?" I asked, trying my best to force a confident tone. Don smirked back at me, shaking his head, as if amused by my efforts. He could always tell when I was faking it.

In almost everything.

"Oh, look who's all tough now." He laughed, looking around the dressing room, making his way over to the refreshment table. He picked up one of the glasses of champagne, downing it in one swig. I wondered how much he had already had to drink, and what that would mean for me.

"You were quick to run off the other night." He said, now avoiding my eyes, picking at some of the snacks. "You stay with your little boyfriend?"
"Yes." I snapped. He giggled to himself, finally smirking back at me.
"Come on, Jules. Let's be serious." My stomach dropped.
"About what?" I asked. He shot me a look, as if I should already know exactly what he was talking about.
"About us."
"There is no us." I muttered. He laughed again, grabbing another glass of champagne.

"Alright, so I see things have gotten somewhat serious with that one, okay." He said, still managing to force a positive tone. I don't know what was scarier, when he pretended like everything was okay, or when he actually snapped at me.

At least I always knew what to expect when he was outright mad.

He then made his way over to me, sitting down close on the couch. I moved away, as far as I could, now leaning up against the arm. He sighed, slowly moving in closer to me. If he was going to do anything, he would have done it by now, right?

"We need to talk about the engagement, Jules." He said softly, his tone now changing, finally sounding like himself, like how I remembered.
"W-what about it?" He was quiet, holding his stare for a moment before reaching out for me. Instinctively, I flinched, moving further away. His face dropped, hesitating before reaching back, gently brushing the hair out of my face.

"We're gonna do it at the Grammy's." He finally said, giving me a gentle smile. As if this was something I would actually be happy about.
"W-what? What do you mean?"
"After you win Best New Artist, you'll make your little speech and then I'll come up, and we'll do it there."
"But.. we don't know if I'm gonna-"
"You are." He said, so matter-of-fact. My heart sunk.

It was rigged.

"But how-"
"I told them we'd go, and they could use us for all the promo, and that there would be a special surprise, but only if they gave it to you. So.. don't say I never did anything for you." I could already feel the tears forming behind my eyes.

I had wanted this my whole life. But not like this. Now it meant nothing. I had worked so hard, I had done everything, and even still.. it was only being handed to me.. for what?