Chapter 72: My Heart Was His

Jake's P.O.V

The wine helped, but I was still terrified.

It wasn't a matter of wanting her. She had had an effect on me from the moment I walked through the door of her dressing room that first night, not to mention every waking moment before that.

Everyone and their mother knew about Juliette, and there was no denying how beautiful she always looked, constantly being shoved in our faces across billboards, covers of magazines, and every time you turned on the tv.

You would think that by now the entire world would be sick of her, but we were anything but. Especially me, though I would have never admitted it. Not out loud, anyway. People like her weren't exactly.. taken seriously where we grew up. And for a while, I agreed. Partly. But it was only because I didn't understand. Not until now.

But nothing could have prepared me for how absolutely stunning she truly was in person. I didn't get nervous easily, especially not around other musicians. As far as I was concerned, she was just one of us. There was no reason to let one person get you so worked up, no matter how famous they were. After all, we were all just people who wanted to be listened to.

But then I realized, Juliette was not just people. She was an entirely different breed. And in that moment, I learned that some people truly were in a league of their own, and as far as I was concerned, Juliette was untouchable.

Then I met Julia.
And I knew that nothing would ever be the same.

"Jake.." She sighed, leaning her forehead against mine. And then something in me just.. changed. She was willing to leave all of that, for life here, for a life with me. I didn't trust easily, I never had, and I never thought I would again, but for someone like that, someone like her, knowing that made it that much easier. If she was going to give me that, the least I could do.. was give her this.

Despite the fact that I wanted it just as badly.

But at the same time, I could't help but think about her and Don, how terrified she was that night in her dressing room, and I swore, if her and I ever got to a place like this, she would never feel anything but as safe as possible, knowing that she always had a say, in everything. I never wanted her to go another day without knowing just how truly loved she was, and would always be.. with me.

Even still, the last thing I wanted to do was disappoint her. Especially after making her wait so long. I know she said she wouldn't but.. what if this made her realize that she didn't actually want to be with me, and all of this was just.. a distraction for her, until it was finally time for her to go back home?

She could have anything, or anyone, in the world.
It still just didn't make sense why she would choose me.

Julia's P.O.V

I had never been nervous like this before, but there was just something about him now. I wanted it to be just as good for him as I know it would be for me.

Despite having only been with Don, I knew that anyone else would be good in comparison, and all I wanted was to finally get to experience what everyone talked about, what we wrote about, what we spent every day searching for, and something just told me.. that's exactly what I'd get with him.

We barely made it to his bedroom before he turned around to face me, reaching out and carefully holding my face in his hands, pulling me into a deep kiss. I didn't hesitate to kiss him back harder, grabbing onto his shirt, pulling him up against me.