Chapter 73: Where I Wanted to Be

He held me in such an assuring embrace to where I could slowly start to feel all of my broken pieces meld back together again, like he was the glue that I had always been missing.

For the first time, in a long time, I was just.. completely happy, but as much as I enjoyed our euphoric silence, I knew it was only a matter of time before he broke it.

"How was that?" He sighed, trying his best to conceal his overworked panting, but still managing to flash me that same smile that never failed to make me melt, even more so now. I nodded, smirking back up at him before nuzzling my face into his chest, still unable to find the words. He pulled me in closer, tangling his fingers in my hair, kissing my forehead.

"And for the record.." He giggled, his lips lingering as they made their way down to my neck. "I love when you say my name." My heart jumped, now unable to contain my flustered laughter, pulling him into a passionate kiss. He didn't hesitate to kiss me back harder, positioning himself back over me.

"Please say something." He laughed, his smile growing into a beaming grin as he gently rubbed his nose against mine. "You're really making me nervous."
"I love you." I sighed, the only thing I could finally muster up. He was quiet, holding his stare on me for a moment before eventually leaning into another long kiss.
"I love you." He said, lying his head down onto my chest, pressing his weight onto me.

And I welcomed it, as if he was my own personal shield, protecting me and keeping me safe from the outside world around us.

Because after this, I knew I'd need it.

"So.. was it good?" He muttered, avoiding my eyes. I nodded, now gently running my fingers though his hair, slowly tracing them up and down his back. He cuddled closer, holding me tighter.
"Yes." I giggled to myself. "It was very good." I felt him let out a deep sigh, his body practically deflating onto me.
"Okay good."
"It was worth the wait." I muttered. He smirked back at me.
"I'm sorry that I-"
"Don't be sorry. I.. I get it now." He held his stare me, his smile growing, understanding what I was implying.

Because he was right. There was no going back after that, and I loved knowing that we were both sure about each other, now knowing how much it'll hurt if life got in the way.

"You should get some sleep." I whispered, gently combing my fingers through his hair. He shook his head, but he couldn't deny the newfound heaviness of his eyelids, despite how hard he tried to keep them open.
"No.." He sighed, cuddling closer. I allowed him to pretend for a moment, fighting it for as long as he could until his breaths became even and quiet, knowing he was finally out.

The Next Morning

Jake's P.O.V

I woke up in a fog, forcing my eyes open despite my heavy lids, instantly feeling around next to me for Julia, but my hands found nothing but empty sheets. It took me a moment to finally come to, rubbing my eyes to force the clarity of the fact that I was now alone.

Had the whole thing been a dream?

There was no way. She was here. All of that, that had to be real. Last night was the realist thing I had ever felt in my entire life. There was no way I had dreamt the whole thing.

But then, the faint scent of breakfast slowly began to fill the air, easing any nerves I had of being abandoned. Before I could force myself out of bed, the door slowly pushed open, Julia making her way in back first, turning towards me where I saw she was carrying a tray, filled with two full plates of pancakes and two glasses of juice.

I couldn't believe she had done all of this for me.

"Oh, I wanted to surprise you." She said, giggling to herself as she carefully carried the tray over, placing it down on my lap. She crawled back into bed, cuddling close before reaching over for her glass.

"You didn't have to do all of this." I said, now examining everything. It looked like something straight out of a magazine. I know she had said she had enjoyed cooking with her nannies back home, but I didn't really know what I expected. I just knew it wasn't this.

"Of course I did." She said softly, leaning over into a gentle kiss. "I just.. wanted to do something for you." My cheeks burned as I brought my attention back to my plate, grabbing my fork and taking the first bite.

It was absolutely delicious.

It didn't take me long to practically inhale them, peeking over to see her watching me with a subtle grin.
"I take it you like them." She laughed as she slowly enjoyed hers. I nodded.
"You really are a good cook."
"Thank you." She muttered, trying to hide her flustered grin as she continued to eat.
"What did you put in them?" I asked. She shrugged, keeping her eyes down.
"You're really not gonna tell me?" She shook her head, her smile growing.
"Nope. It's my secret recipe." I could tell she wasn't going to budge.
"Well, then you can make them for me whenever you want." She finally looked back up at me, flashing me a wide grin before leaning into a long kiss, her sugar coated lips only making it that much sweeter.
"Anything you want."

Julia's P.O.V

We spent the rest of the morning within our domestic daydream, him picking the remainder of my breakfast from my plate and me pretending I was too full to care.

"So, once we get back to the house, I just have to grab my phone from the bus." I said, picking at the last piece of pancake before he took it for himself. He peeked down at me.
"You.. you left your phone?" He asked. I nodded.
"I didn't want anything to take away from.. this." I said, smirking back up at him. He held his stare on me, his lips eventually curling into a smile.
"That's sweet."

On the drive home, he was quiet, his hand anxiously caressing mine, his grip occasionally getting tighter the longer we drove.
"What's on your mind?" I eventually asked, knowing he wasn't going to bring it up himself. He shrugged, keeping his eyes forward.
"I just.. the Grammy's are tomorrow night." He said softly.
"And so is your show." He nodded, smirking back over at me. But I could still tell that something was off.
"What's the matter?" I pried. He finally sighed.

"It's just that.. you have no idea how much I love the fact that you're here, and.. that you decided to come all the way here just for this, and.. I appreciate it and I appreciate the gesture but.. it's insane to miss all of that just for me, and if you wanted to go, I wouldn't be mad. I promise. I love you, and I never want to take anything away from you."
"And I love you. That's why I'm here." I said simply, unsure of how else I could convince him at this point.

I was exactly where I wanted to be.

"I just need you to know that.. I will never forget last night. But if you want to go-"
"I'm staying here." I said. He stayed quiet, eventually nodding.
"Okay, it's just.. sometimes it feels like.. this, like.. you are too good to be true." He muttered.
"Well, I am real." I laughed. "And I want you."
"Okay."

As we finally pulled back up to the bus, I was suddenly hit with a wave of nerves, anxious to find out what was waiting for me on the other side of that door. For all I knew, Don had begun tracking my phone and was already on his way here. But that would involve him actually caring enough to do so.

I think I was safe.

Jake followed me closely as I made my way up the steps and into the back room where I saw it sitting on the end table, right where I left it. He plopped down on the bed, propping his head up onto his hand, watching me as I began to scroll.

We were still in the clear.

Nothing but emails, texts from Tony, texts from Amy, neither of which were urgent, especially after I had told them where I was going to be so they wouldn't panic, but I knew Amy was waiting up for whatever details I was willing to give her. I'd have to call her later when I could be alone.

But then I saw an unfamiliar number, my heart jumping as I quickly scanned through.

Harry: Can't wait to see you Saturday. I hear we're seated next to each other. Perhaps we can talk about you ditching my party xxx. - H