episode 13: dare to go the extra mile

(a/n: comment to get a chocolate hehe :3) 

"So!" Jisung clapped his hands once, zealous and exuberant, "Kaira, we want some background vocals for this track, and I think your voice would suit the song a lot." 

"But... why me? I mean, my voice is quite baritone, if I had to say it..." I trailed off. 

"Chan suggested you," Changbin spoke up, "He really likes your voice." 

From my seat, I turned my head to see Chan, who was behind me, glowering at Changbin, as if the man had revealed a deep-rooted secret to me. 

"You do?" I asked Chan, and he turned to me, his features softening. 

"Um, yeah!" he nodded, adding in a sheepish giggle, "You sound beautiful." 

"Yeah, it's like her voice is like Felix's female version," Jisung added, and Changbin laughed, "Okay, not that deep!" 

Meanwhile, I struggled to process the fact that Bang Chan had appreciated my voice, and that he had suggested that I should be added to this track. I was inwardly malfunctioning, even though outwardly I had a nervous smile on my lips. 

"Thank you...?" I chuckled, "Thanks for letting me be a part of this project. This might just be my first time working with someone on a track, too." 

"You haven't worked with anyone before?" Chan questioned, astonished. 

"No, not really." 

"Hmm," he thought aloud, "If this goes well, then let's hope to work together again. How does that sound?" 

"That sounds like a dream come true," I had a big, helpless smile on my face. 

"Alrighty!" Jisung spoke, "So these are the lyrics..." 

He handed me a sheet of printed lyrics, and I gladly accepted it, scanning through the lyrics and analyzing the meaning of the words they had penned down. As I read through, I realized that it sounded different than their usual tracks -- this was an adorable, first love themed song. 

"Wow, who wrote this?" I asked, genuinely interested. 

"I did," Chan spoke, "Do you like it?" 

"I love it," I looked at him, "It sounds different." 

"Then you'll love the musical composition too," he excitedly trotted over to the chair beside mine and tapped on the keys of his laptop, and the sound of an acoustic guitar played from the speakers. The drums were soon introduced, and I listened to the track with an unconscious smile on my face -- it sounded just that good. 

I could place the lyrics on the beats as the instrumental played, and bobbing my head to the beat, I mouthed the lyrics with the song. Once the track ended, I looked at Chan, who was looking at me, too, and I said, "This sounds beautiful." 

"Anything you wanna add to it?" Changbin asked, and I sheepishly chuckled. 

"Um, why would I? I'm just a novice, and you all know better than me-" 

"Kaira, come on!" Jisung whined, "We know you're good at this. Even Jinyoung PD was talking about your recent month-end evaluation! So, if you have anything to add, please let us know!"

I looked alternatingly at the three of them, and I bit my lower lip, "I think we could... if you don't mind, add some percussion to it." 

I turned my head to look at Chan again, forgetting about my inhibitions and shyness and intimidation; we were working, and I couldn't help but act more or less professional while I was at the job, "Do you think it'd be a good option?" 

"Feel free to add," he handed me his laptop, and familiar with the program he was using to create the song, I added my inputs. Within minutes, I was done, and I played the song, praying that I didn't ruin the song by adding my stupid intervention. 

And when it played, Chan had that grimace on his face -- the same one he has when he listens to something good, or tastes something delicious -- and even though, knowing him, I realized that he perhaps liked it, I did not want to jinx it. So I waited until the part that I edited was over. 

He clicked on the spacebar to pause the track once the percussional part was over, and he looked at Jisung and Changbin... and for a moment, I was certain that I had messed up. I was just beginning to gather the guts to apologize when Chan spoke, "Where have you been all this time?" 

"Huh?" 

"Kaira, you're good at this!" 

"...Sorry?" 

The three men laughed, and I was still shaken to the core. If 3RACHA approved my skills, then that would probably be the greatest validation I could get. 

And I was getting it. 

"You really made it better. I was personally scared to add the experimentalist percussion to it," Chan spoke, "I was fearing whether I should experiment or not. You know, go the long mile? But you've done it." 

"Thank you!" I beamed, and Changbin added, "See, Channie? She just proved that you can dare to experiment. That's a life lesson right there." 

"Uh huh?" Jisung sassily joked, "Then maybe you should experiment with your protein shakes." 

"Hey! That's totally different!" 

"Oh, really?" 

As Jisung and Changbin bickered, I giggled watching them do so, and then turned to face Chan, who seemed deep in thought. 

"Are you alright?" I gently asked him. 

He gazed at me and smiled, "Maybe daring to go the extra mile isn't always dangerous."

(a/n: the song inspiration that i took for the song they are making here is from Selena Gomez's Back To You. I have loved that song, and i will always love it. End of discussion. 

I have SO MANY PLANS FOR THIS STORY OHMYGOSH this might just exced 60 chapters or so, according to what i estimating as of now. 

BUT HOW WAS THISSSS?? :D 

thanks for reading! i love you!)