episode 20: stara

"They had spent a lifetime together before he had even walked up to her and said, 'hey'." 

_____

I stared at my phone's screen as I saw a text in my notifications. And it was from Bang Chan. 

The previous night, as he had dropped me at my apartment, we had exchanged numbers. Although I was not someone who generally cared about the name I had on others' phones, I had peeked into his screen as he was saving mine, and he had put a star next to my name. And that exhilarated me, because that could have been in tribute to the moments we had spent together in the same night. He was my star, and now, my name had a star next to it in his call log. 

Currently, I smiled unconsciously at my phone as I recalled the previous night, overseeing the notification from him that quite literally just said 'hey'. I was rather lost in my daydreams. 

"What are you smiling at?" 

Hyeon-ju's voice woke me up from my aimless daydreams, and I blinked in vain, "Huh?" 

"You have the biggest smile on your face," she spoke, snickering, "Who are you thinking about?"

"Nothing, no one," I immediately responded, locking my phone. She was about to say something when someone knocked on our studio's door. Rising, she called for Hee-yeol, "Hey, kid! Open the door!" 

But Hee-yeol was busy on his laptop, his headphones on, making him detached from the world around him. 

"I'll open it," I chuckled when Hyeon-ju scowled at him. 

As I rose from my seat, I glanced one last time at the notification of the text on my phone, and opened the door. And would the fate have it easy? 

"Oh, it's Bang Chan," Hyeon-ju murmured behind me, and tapped Hee-yeol's headphones to let him be aware of his presence. 

"Hello!" he called out to them, who waved at him in partial astonishment, partial perplexity. Then, he looked at me, his smile wide and bright, and in a lower voice, he spoke, "Hello, Stara." 

"Stara?" I asked, raising a brow. 

Chan sheepishly chuckled, "A nickname for you? Combining 'star' and 'Kaira'? Ah, it's so cheesy, I'm sorry." 

"No, it's so pretty," I grinned, the nickname shoving aside all the inhibitions in my heart and occupying space in the deepest corner, making that corner its homeland.

"You like it?" he asked, eyes big and innocent and expressive. 

"Mhm!" I nodded eagerly. 

"Phew, oh gosh," he sighed in relief, "I was worried that I'd made it too cheesy!" 

I laughed, "Even if it's cheesy, it's still cute. It has a Chan-vibe to it." 

"Really?" he giggled, eyes never leaving mine. It was honestly a huge improvement for me to be able to match eyes with him. Just weeks ago, I was afraid to look into his eyes, for reasons still valid, but now, my gaze could rise to his and find my home in them. 

Hee-yeol coughed behind me, and I realized that I had been gazing at his gleaming eyes for a while now. I immediately blinked, and Chan averted his gaze to my fellow trainees. He stepped in (I almost facepalmed at the fact that I hadn't even invited him in), and he questioned, "I've seen you guys around so much, but I still don't know your names. I would love an intro!" 

"I-I'm Kim Hyeon-ju, nice to meet you," she wiped her sweaty palms on the fabric of her jeans and raised it to shake hands with Chan, which he gratefully accepted. 

"And I'm Kang Hee-yeol, sir." 

"Ah, don't call me 'sir'," Chan spoke, "Call me 'hyung', I mean if you want to?"

"Oh, alright... hyung," Hee-yeol grinned. 

"That's better," Chan gave the most endearing eye-smile, and turned to me. Right before he could say anything, Hyeon-ju spoke up, "Ahh! So you're the reason why she's started smiling so much!" 

I glared at her, suddenly embarrassed, and Chan turned to Hyeon-ju, asking, "Is that so?" 

Behind him, I mouthed at her to shut up, but she saw me and menacingly continued, "Oh, yes! She starts daydreaming at the most random times of the day and smiles." 

"It was starting to get creepy, but now that we know that you're the reason, hyung, so..." even Hee-yeol joined in. 

Chan turned to look at me with the silliest smile, crinkled his eyes, and spoke, "She's adorable, isn't she?" 

My face must have turned completely red, I assume; for Hyeon-ju almost suppressed a squeal, and Chan chuckled, "Now that has a Stara-vibe to it." 

"Oh, come on!" I whined, and the three people in the room laughed. 

"I've got to go now, but it was a pleasure meeting you," he spoke to my fellow trainees, and then he gazed at me and said, "And you too, my Stara." 

My Stara. 

(a/n: probably one of the cutest things I've written in this book, i don't know 

MY STARAAAAA T_T 

did you fangirl as much as me in this chapter? did you like it? :3 

thanks for reading! i love you!)