Chapter 38: Dron's Gurudakshina or Business??🤔

Soon enough both of them had reached the Sabha. The Sabha (court or assembly) was undoubtedly grand and opulent. The city of Hastinapura itself was renowned for its architectural splendor, and the Sabha reflected the wealth and power of the Kuru dynasty. The Sabha was adorned with luxurious furnishings, exquisite decorations, and was designed to impress and awe those who entered it. It served as the venue for important meetings, discussions, and decisions that shaped the course of Hastinapur. While the physical beauty of it was a magnificent structure, befitting the royal status of the Kuru kings. These assemblies were resplendent, with intricate carvings, colorful tapestries, and an overall ambiance of grandeur. In terms of what constituted the Sabha, it was not only a physical space but also a symbol of political and social power. It was in the Sabha that kings made important decisions, alliances were forged, and conflicts were resolved.

As the duo entered the Sabha, Duryodhana and Bhagi were looking regal. Every eye was forced to look at duo but the duo on the other hand was focused on the third part of them, Karna who was already sitting there feeling a bit awkward... But became happy as soon as he saw his friends and stood up to greet them. Bhagi smiled seeing him, that finally he had worn such regal clothes that he looked like he belonged here. They sat down on their respective seats Duryodhana in middle with Karna and Bhagi on either side. The Pandava brothers sat opposite to them. Some sporting a frown on their faces at the presence of two people in the Sabha who according to them didn't deserve a spot.

Soon enough the King had arrived accompanied by Sanjaya. All the courtiers presents stood there in the respect of the king and the Sabha was started. Initially all the small matters were resolved by taking opinion of Princes.

 Soon a case came in, two people asking for rights on ownership of the land. One a brahmin and another a Poor from lower caste. As the dispute over the land ownership unfolds in the court of Hastinapura, Yudhishthira, known for his adherence to tradition, speaks with conviction.

Yudhishthira said, "My esteemed advisors, it is our duty to uphold the sacred traditions that have guided our society for generations. In accordance with our revered caste system, I propose that the land be awarded to the family of the higher caste. This is the way our forefathers intended, and we must honor their wisdom."

The court listens attentively, there is a murmur of approval among the pandava supporters. The brahmin who had come with his people began praising Hastinapur and gave blessings to Rajkumar Yudhisthir. Vidur smirked a bit seeing this as gaining the support of Upper caste was essential for making Yudhisthir the Yuvraj and eventually the king.

Seeing the unfairness, Duryodhana steps forward, offering an alternative perspective.

Duryodhana said, his voice strong, "Noble elders, while I respect the traditions that bind our society, we must also recognize the changing times. In this case, let us not be blinded by the shackles of caste. Instead, I propose a fair evaluation of each family's merit, need, and ability to cultivate the land. This way, we ensure justice prevails, transcending the boundaries of caste."

His words evoke contemplation among the assembly especially for the neutral members in the Sabha.

Yudhisthir however not wanting his opinion to discredit stands up again, " Rajkumar Duryodhana while I understand your views why must we disrespect the esteemed members of our Hastinapur? Why trouble them. By testing them we are insulting them".

The tension in the court of Hastinapura thickened as the land dispute escalated, leading to a heated argument between Duryodhana and Yudhishthira.

Duryodhana, with a determined expression, confronted Yudhishthira, challenging the traditional perspective.