Chapter 48. Mission Compromised

This chapter may be fast paced. That's because I wanted to get it out as soon as possible before this story reached 100k reads (Thank you loves) and I wanted to get it finished before November (the month I started this story) and then come out with a 100k special when November comes. Buuuuuuutttttttt, it reached 100k before I could publish. THANKS GUYS. I LOVE YOU ALL. YOUR CONSTANT SUPPORT IS WHAT GOT ME TO KEEP WRITING. THERE WERE TIMES WHERE I WANTED TO STOP BECAUSE I DIDNT THINK MY WRITING WAS ANY GOOD AND MY STORY WAS CRAP, BUT YOU ALL ENCOURAGED ME TO KEEP GOING.

THANKS GUYS!

Chapter 48. Mission Compromised

Her fingers grazed her smooth lips as she leaned against the trunk of tree. They tingled as she thought back to that moment six months ago. Her heart clenched slightly at the thought of him—it had indeed been a painful and confusing moment for her. Neji must have felt the same way. A sigh escaped her lips as she slid down the trunk, landing on the ground and looking up through the canopy of leaves.

It was never supposed to be this confusing. She should have never let herself become attached; it caused her to become vulnerable.

"Hey kid, ready for lunch?" The deep voice pierced the silence that encompassed her, causing her to jump slightly. Jiraiya chuckled, "With a mission like yours, I wouldn't be too keen on dozing off."

"Yeah, well, with a mission like mine I end up losing them pretty often."

"Again? It's like they know you're watching!"

"It's possible."

A shiver ran down her spine as fear coursed through her, what if they know, and they're just waiting to kill me?

Shaking her head, she stood up, brushing her hands off on her shorts. The Akatsuki was her mission. If they caught her, they wouldn't kill her unless she refused to join them. That's what she wouldn't do, of course. Her heart sunk at the thought of having to join that wretched organization. She would rather die than join those—those—monsters. Her feelings didn't matter. All that mattered was the village and the people in it—Naruto's life was in the balance—that's what mattered. She was dying anyway.

Yuzuki turned to the old man. "Let's get lunch and figure out ways that I can keep myself better hidden," she started towards the road and Jiraiya followed. The older man shook his head. Tsunade, what have you done?

~

Crouching beneath the cover of the leaves, the girl watched from a hidden tree branch as the notorious Deidara of the Hidden Stone Village and Sasori of the Sand traveled passed her hiding spot. They seemed to be going somewhere on business. The girl narrowed her eyes at the blonde's hands as he reached into his cloak, revealing a small pouch.

She watched as he stuck his hand in and then he opened his palm and looked into it. Her face formed a grimace as she saw the mouth in the palm of his hand, the tongue that flopped around causing her to cringe. "He must've had a poor childhood."

The mouths seemed to be chewing on something; she presumed it was chewing on whatever was in the bag. With her focus on the mouth in Deidara's hand, she failed to notice that the other Akatsuki member had disappeared. Light reflecting off of something in the corner of her eye and she turned her head, finally noticing strings surround her.

"What the— ow," the girl pricked her finger on the razor sharp string, watching as a purple liquid mixed with her blood.

"Silly girl, don't you know to touch what's not yours?" Her head whipped to the side, spotting the puppet man eyeing her, a piece of cloth covering the bottom half of his face. Heart thumping loudly, she lowered her hand and turned cautiously on the tree branch to where she faced him directly. "What were you doing in the tree?"