Epilogue

"We stopped searching for monsters under the bed when we realized they were inside of us." -Unknown

Third POV

The young girl sat atop a rock, over looking the village of Konoha as a whole. She wished she was more careful- then she wouldn't have been caught by them. Then again, it was bound to happen. With her getting closer each day, it was already risky keeping watch on them from afar. She should have stayed away. Lady Tsunade told her to do whatever was necessary to get information. And yet, she barely had any, except that the members were strong, and dysfunctional. Like a family.

Except they attacked each other.

She looked out over the village, remembering her comrades. They were expecting her to come back soon. That obviously wasn't going to happen.

She was going to destroy them from the inside if it meant protecting those she loved.

The girl smiled a half smile—broken smile—, "I will come back." She repeated those words over, the smile falling as she sat up and went to do the one thing that was supposed to get her on the Akatsuki's good side. Tsunade said she was going to pardon the crimes that she committed while in the S-rank criminal organization. She wanted so badly to believe the words she spoke. Was this something she would be able to come back from?

Hidan's torture. Working with criminals. And now this? When was it going to end. When would she be able to earn her reclamation? And get back what she lost?

She wasn't entirely sure about the crime she was about to commit. Would she able to go back?

She could feel a presence behind her. "Wait." He said meekly, his voice cracking slightly.

The dark-haired Kunoichi turned around to look at him with her equally dark eyes, there was no glint of happiness in them, she was too broken. "I can't be here. And you weren't supposed to see me."

"But, I couldn't just let you go. What kind of father would I be if I let you go without a fight?" He asked rhetorically, the faintest of smiles under his mask. "A really bad one." She replied, wrapping her arms around his waist and burying her face in the crook of his neck.

"I'm sorry." She whispered, her voice muffled from her face being buried in his neck. "But I have to go." The man coughed as she punched him tearfully in the abdomen, knocking him out. She caught him before he hit the ground.

"What kind of daughter am I? Is the question." She whispered. Leaving him lying on the ground, her next stop- the Land of Tea.

~

When the young girl reached the Land of Tea, she had no idea where she was going. So she asked for directions to the capitol.

The people were kind- so kind that she was sorry that she was about to assassinate their leader.

When she reached the capitol, she purchased a room at a hotel to stay until night fall.

When the stars came out, she stared at them. Wondering if Sasuke could see them, too. But, of course, he was probably under ground somewhere, secluded and not even thinking about her.

She reeled her mind back into reality, almost reluctantly.

Grabbing the Tantō leaning in the corner next to the door, she sheathed the blade and left.

The moon was high when she began her assault on the Feudal Lord. Crouching low in a tree, she eyed the man wearing a noble's clothes. He was sitting in a hall with a few other men. She figured she would be able to get in and out without being captured.

She unsheathed the Tantō, and dove into the hall. It all seemed to happen in slow motion.

The way her blade slit his throat; the sound of the blood curdling in his throat; the blood spitting out into her face.

Then just like that, she was gone. No one even caught a glimpse of her. Reiko's chakra cloak helped keep her hidden from most eyes.

She climbed back in her hotel room. The sirens blared in the distance. The rogue looked at her bloodied blade, the crimson liquid dripping off the tip.

Her trembling hand dropped the blade. It clattered to the floor, the blood seeping into the carpet.

She had just murdered the Feudal Lord of the Tea Country. She could never go back.

A sudden realization hit her as she sat there, rocking back and forth. The monster wasn't inside of her. She was the monster.

Whatever it takes. That was what Tsunade had told her. And she would do just that. Even if it broke her to the point of no return. Even if it destroyed her.

Her wails echoed into the night, it felt as if she were carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders.

She wasn't sure if she was going to be able to hold it.

Theme songs for this chapter-

Whatever it Takes, Imagine Dragons

FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS, TRIPPING IN THE WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
EVERYBODY CIRCLING, IT'S VULTUROUS
NEGATIVE, NEPOTIST

...

BREAK ME DOWN AND BUILD ME UP
WHATEVER IT TAKES

Bleeding Out, Imagine Dragons

WHEN THE DAY HAS COME
BUT I'VE LOST MY WAY AROUND
AND THE SEASONS STOP, AND HIDE BENEATH THE GROUND
WHEN THE SKY TURNS GRAY
AND EVERYTHING IS SCREAMING
I WILL REACH INSIDE
JUST TO FIND MY HEART IS BEATING

I'm crying. This is the end of the road. Just kidding.

Stay tuned!

And please take into account that I have had the ending to this story planned out since the beginning. That I have also known that the end was going to be the most important part and it is necessary for the storyline to continue. I honestly didn't know what else I was going to do for her character during the time skip. What, should she just remain in Konoha and be normal? Nah. That's just  boring.