Apologizing

I entered the house and up the stairs to the second floor. Edward approached me at the top of the steps, as if he had overheard my thoughts. Although I did not enjoy Edward's ability to read people's minds, he is a member of my family, and I will always accept him for who he is. After all, I'm far from perfect myself. And I'm well aware that my powers have the potential to enrage him and others.

Edward began to say, "Layla," before I raised my hand and silenced him.

"Where is she?" I asked.

Edward took a breather. I could tell he was pondering whether or not to inform me of Bella's whereabouts. Edward stepped aside and pointed to the room at the end of the corridor after a few seconds.

"Thank you."

I began walking into the chamber, but as Edward yelled my name, I came to a halt and turned back.

"I'm sorry, Layla." Edward apologized. "I should have stopped her, but I didn't."

"You don't need to apologize, Edward. Things just got out of hand, on both sides."

I finally made it to my room's door. I opened the door by turning the doorknob. Bella was standing by the window, gazing out at the trees, when I arrived. I entered the bedroom and locked the door behind me, allowing Bella and me to speak in privacy. I walked over to Bella's side carefully. As I considered what to say, I gazed out the window. This was not an easy task for me, but I knew it had to be completed.

"Bella," I began. "I'm sorry for using my abilities against you. I did not mean for it to happen. I just lost it when I saw Seth thrown back against a tree."

I shifted my gaze to Bella. She remained silent, her gaze fixed on the window.

"I'm sure you don't know who I am, and I'm sure you don't know who I am. And believe me when I say that I didn't intend for us to meet in this manner. Something like this was the last thing I intended to happen. But please accept my sincere apologies."

"No, you are not the one who should be apologizing."

"What?"

Bella turned her head to the side to look at me.

"I followed Seth to the edge of the cliff after the incident occurred. I noticed you two. Now that I'm aware of your intentions, I can understand that it was my error, not yours."

"Bella," I began before she cut me off.

"Please Layla, don't apologize for any more than you have. I know you were just protecting someone you love. You should not be apologizing for that. After all, I can see that Seth and you have something special between the two of you."

I laughed and said, "Is it that noticeable?"

"As clear as our vision." Bella chuckled.

I turned to Bella and gave her a quick hug with my left arm.

"Edward is very lucky to have you," I added. "I've never seen him like this before. I remember when he was like a zombie. He had no reason to live, but now he does. He has a family with you now."

Bella couldn't help but smile and blush.

"Would you like to meet her?" Bella asked.

"Who?"

"Renesmee, your niece," Bella explained.