The Boy In The Park- Jeremy Jordan

"Nick, stay close okay? There are a lot of people and I don't want you getting lost," I said as I knelt down to zip up my seven year old brother's jacket.

"Okay," he said, rocking back and forth.

"Pinky promise?" I said, holding out my pinky.

"Pinky promise!!!" He said jumping up and down as he wrapped his pinky around mine. Laughing, I leaned forward and kissed his forehead.

I stood up and took his small hand in mine as we walked through the busy streets of New York. I felt his grip tighten on my hand as the streets got busier and busier. I felt a tug on my hand making me stop. I turned around too see Nick looking around scared.

I quickly led us to the nearest store, away from the crowd. "Nicky, honey. Are you okay?" I asked kneeling down in front of him.

"It's just. . . There are so many people."

"Oh honey," I sighed wrapping him in a hug. "It's going to be okay. I'm right here," I said rubbing circles on his back. When he calmed down, I stood back up, took his hand in mine and led him down the street.

When we got to the park, I led him to a playground. "Okay. Nick, honey, I have to go to this job interview down the street. I should be back in no more than an hour. I need you to stay here. You can play on the playground, but do not leave this area okay?"

"Y/N?" He asked shakily.

"What's the matter, sweetheart?" I said, fixing his hair.

"I. . . I just umm. . . I don't want you to leave." My heart sank when he started to cry.

"Nicky, I won't be gone long. I promise."

"Yes you will! When you get the job you'll always be gone! I. . . I don't want you to get a job." I grabbed his wrist before he could run away.

"Nick, look at me honey. I don't want to have to take a job and leave you, but I have to."

"I know. Jobs are important." He sighed, kicking at the grass at his feet. "I love you, Y/N."

"I love you too Nick. I'll be right back, okay?"

"Good luck," he said kissing my cheek.

"Thanks." Reluctantly, I stood back up and headed towards my interview.

Jeremy's POV

I was walking through the park when I noticed a little boy, on a park bench, with his knees tucked up to his chest. My heart sank when I saw he was crying.

"What's wrong, little man?" I asked siting next to him.

He looked at me before hesitating. "My big sister. . . "

"I'm sure we can find her." I said standing up.

"No, she's not missing. She's across the street interviewing for a job."

"Oh," I said sitting back down. "Then shouldn't you be happy for her? Jobs are important."

"I know that. I'm seven, not an idiot." He said with a small laugh. "I know that she is trying so hard to get a job because Daddy left us. And Mommy, she got sick when I was a baby. So now, Y/N has to be mommy and daddy. It's not fair. She should be my sister, not my mommy. It's just. . . We use to spend everyday together. But, when she gets the job, she won't be around that much. Then soon she'll start hanging out with her big job friends and she'll. . .She'll stop hanging out with me."

"Oh hey. Listen to me. Your sister loves you. You're her little brother, that means you are her best friend for life. She isn't going to just stop hanging out with you. She is doing this to take better care of you. Your sister isn't going to forget about you."

"She isn't?" He asked, as he began to calm down.

"Of course not," I smiled.

"Pinky promise?" He asked, holding out his pinky.

"Pinky promise," I smiled wrapping my pinky around his.

We spent the next hour running around and playing catch. Suddenly, I heard someone calling out for Nick.

"Nick? Where did that boy go? Nicky?" I turned around to see a beautiful girl looking around the park, biting her nail nervously.

"Y/N!" Nick yelled as he ran towards the girl.

"Nick!" The girl knelt down and wrapped Nick in her arms. She pulled away and brushed his hair out of his face, "Honey, where were you? I thought I told you to stay over by the playground. I was so worried."

"I'm sorry, Y/N." Nick said looking at his feet. "But. . . But. . . Jeremy was playing catch with me." He said jumping up and pointing towards me.

"Oh, umm," Y/N said nervously as she stood up. "Thank you. For watching him. I was in an interview." She said holding her hand out for me to shake. "My name is Y/N."

"I'm Jeremy. Nice to meet you." I said taking her hand. "So," I said letting go of her hand. "How did the interview go?"

"I got the job," she said smiling.

"That's great. Congratulations." I smiled.

"Yeah. Great." We looked down to see Nick staring at his shoes.

"Nick, honey, we talked about this." Y/N said as she knelt down. Before she could say another word, Nick ran off. "Nicky!" She yelled as she quickly stood up.

"Here, let me." I said, putting my hand on her shoulder. I sent her a smile before running after him.

When I found him, he was sitting behind a tree with his knees pulled to his chest. "Hey, little man." I said, sitting down next to him.

"My sister is going to forget me." He said as tears streamed down his cheeks.

"Hey, I thought we already talked about this. You know she isn't going to forget you." I said wrapping him in a hug.

"Is it bad that I was hoping she wouldn't get a job?"

"Nick," I sighed. "Just because your sister gets a job, it doesn't mean she is just going to forget about her little brother."

"He's right, you know." Nick and I looked up to see Y/N standing over us. She knelt down on the other side of Nick. "You know that I have to get a job. If I don't, we won't be able to live in our apartment or put food on the table. I am doing this for you. I promise I won't act any different, okay?"

"Pinky promise?" He asked holding his finger out for her to take.

Smiling, she wrapped her pinky around his. "Pinky promise." He wrapped her in a tight hug, making her smile. "Thank you," she mouthed to me.

"No problem," I mouthed back. Her smile made my heart skip a beat.

Nick pulled away and giggled. "You know what? Jeremy you should ask my sister out on a date. If someone is going to steal her from me, I want it to be someone I like." I laughed as Y/N's eyes widened.

"Oh, ummm you. . . You don't have to," She stuttered.

"You're right, bud. So, Y/N what do you think? Dinner?" I asked.

"I'd love to."